I don't routinely use advmame, but I did a few tests and it looks like - when mapping the input - there is a delay between pressing an input and the corresponding key being displaying in the menu. If I do a simple/single press, nothing is shown, but after the input timeout elapses, the input dialog shows the input has been acknowledged and configured. It's like the UI doesn't update immediately after 1 event processed.
We'll see if something can be done to make the input mapping more responsive.
all of them... well the three available for retropie... tried with all of them and there is not a way to change video option beyond the offered by mame itself :( maybe there is an option to edit its reg (i must say i am newbie on raspberry )
@andrewsi starting it from gdb inside a ssh session could work to have text mode, unless you tried that. But could be it wont break on correct location either then. Not used gdb that much for such problems
@MISTERHOLLYW00D great choice, i use AdvanceMame and FBNeo (for NeoGeo) and am very satisfied with this combination.
I also like Nitroball 😊, i recommend to play "Gunball" also. That is the japanese Version of Nitroball which is totally different concerning the Level Design 😉
So I made some guesses on the joystick ID (above), and got advmame to start long enough to let me map controls. I pulled the trigger, and found it was showing up as j5. I wiggled the gun around, and it showed up as j4. Armed with that knowledge, I went back into advmame-1.4.rc and updated those lines.
Back into duck hunt and... SUCCESS! Sort of. I had movement, and it didn't drift, but it also was clearly moving in 4 directions. Like a joystick.
So I went back to gunconf, set the gun for mouse mode, and went back into AdvMame. Nothing worked (which I expected), but I was able to do that mapping trick and learn that both buttons and movement was showing up as j6. I made the appropriate changes to the rc file, and.. nothing.
Buuuuut, I did learn something about how the rc files works, so I decided to throw caution to the wind and make some changes.
I went back into the rc and set it up this way again:
I set the lightgun mapping back to "auto", and fired up duckhunt again, and it was a QUALIFIED SUCCESS!
The lightgun is now working (as in, it moves in the right direction at the right time), but there is clearly a calibration and/or sensitivity issue. The gun functions inside a very small area, which I suspect is about the resolution of duckhunt, rather than the resolution of the monitor.
I attempted to calibrate inside of duckhunt, but that's a frustrating experience since the crosshairs bounce all over the place, and I can only guess where I'm supposed to be aiming. Hardly ideal for what I'm trying to make happen here.
I am going to re-calibrate in 4:3 using gunconf, and then play with the sensitivity settings to see if I can get it to match up.