That did the trick! Thank you. I guess since I looked at the folder path in windows explorer, and it spelled "RetroPie" in lower case as "retropie" I assumed that would be the correct folder name. Thanks for you help!
Thanks Mitu. I ended up using locate to find any corresponding gamelist.xml for the Naomi folder(s) and wiped them, then I just started from scratch, adding one game at a time and it looks like it finally took the information. I must have missed something in there, but just copy/pasting by hand finally nixed the issue.
It was so weird. Before that it was even naming stuff totally wrong. Like I had MegaMan 3 for NES Playchoice listed in the Naomi folder. And a LOT of the games were being listed as Power Instinct, which is not on the Naomi. No idea why it was generating games that weren't in the folder at all.
I'm a bit confused - the right permissions for the gamelists are to be owned by the user pi. If you change the file to be owned by root, then Emulationstation (which runs as user pi) will not be able to save any metadata (writing back the gamelist.xml file).
Make sure the files are owned by the user pi, then try again to see if the metadata is saved. If it's not, show a screenshot of the file's permissions. Also, make sure you didn't accidentally disabled saving the metadata on exit from the Emulationstation settings.
an option to enable instant save on every change in the event loop which might introduce lags depending on the system
having a background thread that saves changes which would not introduce lags but introduce more complexity into ES
@rkoster Ah, Nice! I'll have to dig into the xml files for Carbon since that's what I'm using. I don't have much expertise in that area, but it doesn't look like it would be too much trouble with a little tinkering. Maybe someone who has done it on Carbon will chime in as well before I get a chance to.. :D