@cacrlhungus74 There is nothing wrong with ES or it's custom collections. It was never the intention to edit this files manual. The collections were designed to be added all out of ES. You can create files out of ES menu, you usually add/remove entries to these collections also by ES.
But I agree it's very handy to edit these files and just add entries ... or use collections other user stick together ;)
(1) Is your Pie on the same network as your computer?
(2) What username and password are you using for WinSCP? It should be username: pi password: raspberry
(3) The Host name on WinSCP should be the IP address of your Pie... (You can find that by using the ShowIP function located in the RetropieConfiguration area...
(4) You can also use a Windows 'file explorer' window to talk to the RP by typing in // IP address (making sure it is recognizing it as a network instruction, and not a website)
(5) Install RetroPieManager (one of my favorite) by following the video below. It lets you access via your webrowser, by putting in the IP address followed by :8000 . It's pretty slick, and let's you know if the files you uploaded are compatible in those folders. Only issue with it is it doesn't quite work well will large files (500mb+)
If you want to load roms from a USB stick, make a folder called Retropie-mount and put into the raspberry pi. It will create folders for roms. Put the roms in the correct folders and restart emulation station. Note, this will not copy to the sd card.