Did you install any additional drivers (xboxdrv maybe) ? For the S models, you should install the xpadneo driver from https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo, it should work better with the newer Xbox controller models.
Hm, I recall some reports about Xbox controllers taking long to initialize. Try using the xpadneo driver from - https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo, it might work better, but, given the age of your distro, I'm not sure how well it will behave with your kernel version.
These problems mainly occur w/ LibRetro games. When plying Mame (advmame) I sometimes have to manually kill joy2key.py so that a keypress on my controller does not result in Mame trying to load a game when pressing "up".
joy2key - should stop itself, it's only used by runcommand. Are you using it for other purposes ?
Thank you for pointing me to the xpadneo (bluetooth) driver for my Xbox One S controller. It solves some probs not related to RetroArch. In the Libretro SNES emu I still experience a lot of slowdown, but the LR-Atari 2600 emu runs fine.
Lr-picodrive (Megadrive & Sega Master Sytem) appears to work fine. But I have to re-start my controller (on/off). Same thing for Lr-SNES: I can wait for 5 minutes to let the Pi / Libretro "find" my bluetooth controller or I can use the on/off button. "Yoshi's Island" won't run fine no matter what controller I use, ha ha (YI is a very hard game to run because of the extra chip it had in the cartridge).
[off topic] Still have that nasty problem that joy2key.py won't get killed after starting a game. This results in, for instance, the F10 keyboard key getting pressed by my controller in Mame4all. The F10 key makes Mame throttle to "ridiculous speed", just like the spaceships in "Spaceballs The Movie".
@quicksilver you're right in Mame2003+ simply open the Retroarch Menu/GUI > Quick menu > Settings (not Controls indeed) and head for the Control Mapping setting. Change the value either to Analog (left stick) or Digital (Dpad). Thanks for the tip as I completely missed that opion!
@mitu Thanks for the info. Sorry for jumping in. My brain didn't register that this was a RPi4 specific thread. FWIW, Turns out my issue was xpadneo README's instructions for raspbian. Installing the raspberrypi-kernel-headers package on 4.5.1 causes the buster headers to be installed on top of the stretch ones (which are already present on the retropie image).
I have this exact same issue. However the fix doesn't work for me. The bluetooth disconnects after 5 seconds as it should but then never connects back to the pie and wont until the pie is rebooted. Any ideas or anything I can check using ssh to ensure the bluetooth service has restarted?? I am a bit of Linux noob but can find my way around a putty window :)
@darkside1305 did you ever solve this issue? I've tried everything listed elsewhere to no resolve. I keep getting the KB unknown key for many of the buttons I want to map. Using a bluetooth xbox one S controller. In the drastic.cfg file I notice that anything listed as KB unknown key is changed to a zero. If I knew how the emulator worked with retroarch I might be able to figure out the numbers but they do not match up with the normal 1-14 buttons retroarch uses.
I've got some problems with 1708 revision gamepad. Moving to 4.8+ kernel solved the problem for me. 4.9 is in the NEXT branch now btw. But older gamepad revisions seemed to work well afaik. Is it working at all (LED on..?)
I apologize, I guess my configuration information would help troubleshoot this issue.
I have searched the forum and have not found a fix specific for the xbox one controller. The basic issue seems like I can not point this emulator to use the xbox one controller configs. So if we can figure out how to get libetro 2003 to use the same controller mappings as mame4all we will be golden.
Pi Model: (B, B+, 2 B etc..): Raspberry Pi 2 -Model B - Version 1
RetroPie Version Used: 4.1
Built From: Using base 4.1 image from retropi website download link
USB Devices connected: Keyboard
Controller used: Xbox One S - Connected by USB
Error messages received: No error message. Can not back out of Emulator
File: (File with issue - with FULL path): no exactly sure what file is having issue with the configuration. My guess it is one of the files in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch/autoconfig or /opt/retropie/configs/mame-libretro/
Emulator: (Name of emulator - if applicable): Mame-libretro 2003
How to replicate the problem: I was able to replicate by doing a complete reload and taking the base image 4.1 offered on the retropi website. I was still unable to configure libretro to work. When I got it to work earlier I must of done some global configuration to get it to work because I was in Mame4all and then went to libreto and it worked. Eventually something happen to muck up my controller configuration.