RetroPie 4.4 is released
RetroPie 4.4 is out, bringing with it Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ support via our new Raspbian Stretch based images. Raspbian Jessie is no longer receiving firmware and kernel updates, so the move to the new version was required.
For RPI users it is recommended to start from a fresh image with this update. It is possible to upgrade the system from Jessie to Stretch but there have been reports of issues by some people when doing so.
If wanting to use WiFi on the new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, you will need to first configure the WiFi Country via raspi-config before it will work. It’s under menu 4 of raspi-config (Localisation options).
Initial support for the Tinker board has been added with this release. It’s a source only install on top of their default Debian image. It has only had limited testing so far, and may need further work.
Please see the changelog below for more information on the changes since RetroPie 4.3.
You can download a 4.4 image from https://retropie.org.uk/download/. For first installs please follow the Installation Instructions.
You can also install RetroPie on top of an existing Raspbian Stretch set up, or on top of Ubuntu on a PC/Odroid-C1/C2/XU3/XU4. Links to the relevant instructions can be found on the Download area.
If you want to support the project, donations are always appreciated and can be made on our Donation Page. The main developer Jools Wills also has a Patreon page up at https://www.patreon.com/retropie
Changes since 4.3
- Added support for Raspbian Stretch, and switched to it for our main images, as Raspbian Jessie is no longer receiving kernel/firmware updates. Many changes were needed around the codebase to work correctly with Raspbian Stretch.
- Added basic support for the ASUS Tinker Board.
- RetroArch updated to v1.7.1 (built with video recording support via ffmpeg on Raspbian Stretch).
- AdvanceMAME updated to v3.7
- ScummVM - updated to v2.0. This fixes the controller issues and adds support for additional games.
- Stella (Atari 2600 emulator) updated to v5.0.2
- Fuse (ZX Spectrum emulator) updated to v1.4.1
- SDL2 - updated to 2.0.8
- Dosbox - Updated to latest code, implemented software MIDI synth support, and launching via .conf files directly.
- lr-freeintv libretro Intellivision emulator
- AGS - enable DIGMID support for MIDI playback on devices with no hardware MIDI Support.
- Fixes for xarcade2jstick.
- Added customhidsony, a custom hid-sony dkms driver module patched to fix the eternal vibrate bug with third-party Shanwan controllers.
- wolf4sdl - fix spear of destiny mission support.
- Zdoom - add support for launching Hexen 1 Series, Heretic, Strife and Chex 3.
- cgenius - updated to v2.2.0.
- Amiberry - update to the new SDL2 release (still using SDL1 on the Raspberry Pi due to performance reasons).
- Emulation Station improvements including Kiosk mode, and a new experimental module emulationstation-dev for those wanting to try our the very latest Emulation Station code.
- Various mupen64plus (N64 emulator) fixes.
- Removed lr-armsnes as it’s no longer developed and has only minor changes over lr-snes9x2002.
- Fix non working xm7 (Fujitsu FM-7) emulator.
- Joy2key - input mapping improvements and fixes.
- Identify and allow installing on Linux Mint Debian Edition and Deepin.
*Added various new Emulation Station themes, installable from RetroPie-Setup.
- Added new experimental modules:
- lr-dosbox (Dosbox port for libretro)
- dosbox-sdl2 (DOSBox port with SDL2 & FluidSynth support)
- mame2003-plus-libretro (mame2003 with backported fixes)
- Update lr-desmume and split 2015 version off to lr-desume2015.
- digger - digger remastered.
- yquake2 - Supports Quake II and both official mission packs.
- Abuse - port of run and gun game.