[Theme] gameOS for Pegasus
PlayingKarrde last edited by PlayingKarrde
This is a theme for the in development launcher Pegasus.
The goal of this theme is to create a clean and modern game launcher that can fit in alongside other tvOS-like apps (sometimes called 10 foot user interfaces).
Simply download the theme and place it in your Pegasus theme directory under a folder called gameOS.
Windows users may need to install the K-lite Codec Pack to get video playback working.
It is recommended to use Skraper.net to acquire media assets for this theme. These are the minimum requirements for media scraping, although adding more could be useful for other themes or the future:
- box 2d
Skraper will place these in your roms folder under another folder called media.
If no media files are showing up, make sure that Skraper Assets is checked in the Additional Data Sources section of Pegasus settings. It may also be preferable to convert the created gamelist.xml (assuming EmulationStation was chosen for the game list in Skraper) to a metadata.txt file using the Pegasus conversion tool
- Major performance improvements (thanks to @SinisterSpatula for finding the fix)
- Added controller help
- Brought back extra meta data for details
- Fixed grid videos continuing to play while in details
- Added flyer support (needed for arcade)
- Added Windows 10 logo for Windows games
- Added support for PS2, PS3, Switch, 3DS, Wii and Wii U logos
- Added support for Launchbox logo selection
- Shortening GBA in platform menu if using full name
- Fixed Genesis logo being black
- Greatly improved video thumbnail performance by rebuilding the entire system (thanks @waldnercharles for the tip on where to look)
- Re-added video thumbnails by default
- Cleaned up buttons for video preview on game details screen
- Added better support for landscape boxart
- Fix for misaligned platform selection text
- Fix for platform selection not defaulting to selected view
- Added new default game details screen
- Added new default grid view without game details with to toggle
- Added column number options (for future update)
- Added theme support (for future update)
- Brought back collection title
- Video previews in thumbnail currently turned off to improve performance
- Various bug fixes (thanks to bedgoe, waldnercharles)
- Updated to latest version of Pegasus
- Updated platform menu for cleaner experience
- Removed blur when using platform menu to increase performance
- Button consistency across the board
- Fixed details page not elegantly displaying with no media
- Bug fixes
- Favorites filter toggle (X button to add to favorites, Y button to view)
- Video preview feature for details
- Bug fixes
- Details page
- Streamlined interface
- Various bug fixes
- Various QOL improvements
- Initial release
waldnercharles last edited by
@PlayingKarrde Love it!
@waldnercharles thanks! Feedback and feature requests are welcome in case you have any.
waldnercharles last edited by
@PlayingKarrde I don't think this is the responsibility of the theme, but, I think it would be nice to have some sort of settings or config file to read from.
I've been thinking about the changes that I'd like to make to your theme and most of them come down to personal preference. It'd be nice to have some variables that can be toggled in a file or Pegasus.
For instance, I prefer having screenshots as the background because most of the scraped fanart is poor quality.
It's easy enough to just avoid scraping fanart, but I would prefer a menu to choose which art to show.
@waldnercharles definitely that's my number one priority as well. I could implement a potential temporary solution but the launcher itself is getting theme settings at some point in the future so I've been holding off. However I may just go ahead with the temporary solution anyway as several people have requested it.
Clyde last edited by Clyde
@PlayingKarrde Very nicely done. I especially like the mix of lists and grids.
edit: Does it work with 4:3 screens?
@Clyde thanks, yep it works with any size or aspect ratio but has trouble at 640x480 or less right now.
Clyde last edited by
@PlayingKarrde That's great to hear, especially since my 4:3 screen is 1600x1200. :)
SephirothX2004 last edited by
The theme is cool but now i can no longer use my buttons to do anything.
@SephirothX2004 The latest version of Pegasus unfortunately had some major changes to the way inputs work so it would delete all inputs. You will need to go into the settings to remap your buttons.
If you can't get to it (due to no input) you'll need to manually edit your settings.txt that's in your pegasus config folder. You'll likely need to add something like this to the bottom:
keys.menu: F1,GamepadStart keys.page-down: GamepadR2,PgDown keys.prev-page: GamepadL1,Q keys.next-page: GamepadR1,E keys.filters: F,GamepadY keys.details: I,GamepadX keys.cancel: Esc,GamepadB keys.page-up: GamepadL2,PgUp keys.accept: GamepadA,Return
@PlayingKarrde another solution is to just delete the settings.txt and when you boot it up again it should work
@herb_fargus Ah good call, I didn't realise that.
fluffypillow last edited by
@SephirothX2004 If you have a mouse, you can hit the Reset button on the controls screen with that too. But yeah, deleting
simbz23 last edited by
Hey @fluffypillow, your theme is really well done! Was wondering how on earth you did you do the tiles in the rom select screen that has the game title with the video preview running in the background when you hover over it?
I used the skraper app to skrape video and title, and other assets, and there is an option to do a automatically generated asset combining different existing assets, but nothing like what's in your demo video? Did you use a custom template, and if so, can you share lol? :-)
fluffypillow last edited by
@simbz23 The theme was actually made by @PlayingKarrde, and it's for Pegasus, not EmulationStation :) Pegasus happens to support custom asset compositions and positioning like this. You can also find the sources in the first post.
wallmachine last edited by
Does this support rocketlauncher?
@wallmachine I don't think so, the theme is for Pegasus - which is a the launcher itself.
@wallmachine I don't see why you can't use RocketLauncher but since RL is a middleman between launcher and emulator it doesn't really have any effect on this theme or launcher. The launcher is flexible enough to support RL although you'd have to manually set it up (I haven't tried this yet but do plan on it).
I should also point out that I haven't converted the theme to the latest version of Pegasus so if you want to use it I would consider getting a slightly earlier version of the launcher for the time being.
5schatten last edited by 5schatten
I'm using UXS to grab my asset files for Emulationstation. I was wondering which file in particular you use as preview in your grid. When I select a game the preview game-video.mp4 starts and if I open the information page I can see game-image.png so basically it's working. But the grid view itself lacks of a preview picture so would it be possible to use the game-marquee.jpg or something else that is common media obtained by scrapers as fallback?
@5schatten Hmm unfortunately your metadata would need to comply with the Pegasus standards (hence why I suggest Skraper.net to scrape). If it works in EmulationStation though I feel like it should work here too. @fluffypillow could you confirm that?
As for what I'm using, it's simply the game preview video and the clear logo. If it doesn't find the video it will look for the screenshot. If it doesn't find the logo it will use text for the title.