Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

New installed emulator not showing in ES

• @dmmarti that did the job!

I had an older version of es_system.cfg in /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation.

So I copied the /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg to this loaction then restarted the system and THERE THEY ARE.

But for my understanding.. are there more files to be copied to here for proper operation?

• Global Moderator

@boomspar said in New installed emulator not showing in ES:

I had an older version of es_system.cfg in /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation.

And you said that you don't have a custom config file in your home...

But for my understanding.. are there more files to be copied to here for proper operation?

You should not copy anything, the system es_systems.cfg file is kept up to date by the RetroPie setup script - when you add a new emulator, the corresponding folder is created under ~/RetroPie/roms and the necessary entries are added in the ES config file also. If you copied the ES config file in your home and customized it - as described in the docs - then you can have a 2nd config file, which is NOT updated by the RetroPie setup script and that you can manually maintain.

• I didn't saw any file in /home. But instead so in /opt.

I think I am a little confused.
    So what can I do to make it proper working.

I will restore the file in /opt and then what's the best way to do?

ps. I didn't manualy edit files. I following steps out of the es-gui -->

• Retropie - configuration
    • retropie setup
    • P Manage packages
    • opt Manage optional packages
    • 211 lr-bluemsx
    • S Install from source

• Global Moderator

Jus remove the file in /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation and the system (/etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg) will take over.

When you said 'you don't have a file in your home', I meant to understand you don't have a custom es_systems.cfg file $HOME/.emulationstation. The folder $HOME/.emulationstation is the same as /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation, so you must have added that file yourself - as per the docs page I mentioned - at some point, but your forgot about it.

• @mitu Maybe @boomspar didn't notice $HOME/.emulationstation because it is a hidden directory? (i.e. beginning with a ".", just mentioned for others here)

• Yes I didn't notice at first and discovered this morning indead that it was the same when I did a global search.

Maybe the PINN installation did make it.

I deleted it rebooted and MSX is showing, so thanx. But then... the roms wil not load. Returning to ES again.

runcommand.log:

Parameters: 
    Executing: /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-bluemsx/bluemsx_libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/msx/retroarch.cfg "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/msx/FROGGER.ROM" --appendconfig /dev/shm/retroarch.cfg
    /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh: line 1006:   978 Segmentation fault      /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-bluemsx/bluemsx_libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/msx/retroarch.cfg "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/msx/FROGGER.ROM" --appendconfig /dev/shm/retroarch.cfg

So I tried removing all the roms and put in one rom I know normally worked in ES. Reboot and again not showing up the game.

• Global Moderator

Looks like a bad ROM or missing BIOS files - see the MSX Emulators doc page.

• Isn't it weird ; I followed the normal steps below and install does require manual steps...

Retropie - configuration
    retropie setup
    P Manage packages
    opt Manage optional packages
    211 lr-bluemsx
    S Install from source

or is that right?

• Anyway, moved roms to the specified 'shared' folder and it worked.

But still as in my previous post I thought by following the normal gui steps installation must be working but apparently not.

• Global Moderator

@boomspar Generally BIOS and ROMs are not provided by RetroPie unless there's free/open source. That's why the BIOS requirements are always mentioned on the emulator's page. Just like for ROMs, you're responsible for copying the necessary BIOS files in place - they don't come with the package installed from the RetroPie-Setup.

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.