Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

Help choosing psp model

• So I just found out that u can jailbreak PSP's... That's freaking sweet!

Never been a psp person so I have no idea what models are good or anything, I could use some help picking out what model out be good, I would like to have NES, SNES, and possibly N64 games on it along with some PSP games. UC Browser

I have Roms already and have jailbroken and rooted Android and iPhone/iPad in the past so I'm moderately tech savvy, just don't know hardware and could use some guidance from those who have first hand experience.SHAREit

Thanks! Appvn

• I've been looking at this recently, from what I have garnered...

Get a cheap Vita, better screen, don't expect much for N64, snes is acceptable for a lot of titles.

I'm just waiting on locating a cheap Vita to tinker with.

• Maybe this helps a bit:

(In no way I want to suggest that you can't search YouTube for yourself, I just felt like doing it.) 😉

• @JohnMartin as a owner of 3 psps. A 1000, 2000 and a Go. I recommend a 3000 or a Go. The 3000 over the 2000 because of the better screen, other wise they are almost the same. I’ve used my psp for years for emulators. I find NES, Genesis and gameboy is basically flawless. SNES is ok. Performance is not 100% for all games. GBA is actually pretty good. Most games are fine, some have minor performance issues, and some have graphic glitches. But very playable. PlayStation is excellent cause it uses Sony’s own emulator that was used in the Sony store. N64 is terrible and more a proof of concept. And of course you can load any psp game on top of all that. I’ve also run neo geo that runs pretty good. Minor slowdowns.

• I have the psp-3000 also. And I have it running custom software so I have a bit of everything on it now. I have to say I love it.

Think that one might be worth trying to hunt down if you can.

• @JohnMartin or get yourself a PS Vita. If you can get one thats able to be modded (firmware 3.70 and below), you can install Adrenaline and play PSP games on it as if it were an actual PSP. Plus it can also play RetroArch. And as of recently, if you can’t find one thats in the firmware parameters to mod, there is a way not to run psp iso’s without any kind of modding on the latest official firmware (3.71). Lots of tutorials on all this on youtube.

• I'll throw in my opinion for whatever it's worth. :)

I still have my original PSP-1000. I had to replace the battery back in 2012 or so but that's it. It still goes 4-5 hours on CFW and I have no issues at all with it. I was looking to replace it a while back but decided not to. Here's what I found while researching a replacement:

• PSP-2000 has the best screen of the three models. The 3000 has a much brighter screen but some users complained about screen blurring and tearing with faster games and action sequences in movies.
    • The 3000 has slightly improved battery life but - again - I run 5-6 hours on my 1000 already on one charge.
    • The 2000 and 3000 have more RAM than the 1000. However I haven't had any issues running anything at 333MHz with 32MB RAM. Since none of them are going to run N64, Dreamcast, etc it's a non-issue for me. PS1 runs natively on the PSP and (from the 16-bit consoles all the way back to Atari 2600) all my emulation runs perfect as far as I can tell.

All in all I'd stay away from the PSPGo and just grab whichever of the three regular PSP releases you can get the cheapest.

EDIT: Also if you plan on running MAME4ALL make sure you find the 0.37b5 romset. It's still floating around out there.

I also agree with what has been mentioned here though. Get a PSVita if you can. Adrenaline runs everything from the PSP library perfectly PLUS you get emulation AND the PSVita library. It also has a larger, brighter screen and better battery life all around.

My own (unpopular) opinion - I hate RetroArch on the Vita and I am hoping for some MAJOR improvements. I actually have been emulating inside of the Adrenaline app using the PSP emulators. So I emulate to emulate the emulators!

alt text

• @ClassicGMR

i think you misunderstood something, the 32mb and 64mb is the size of the nand memory, not the actual ram.
    i belive the actual ram was 4mb iirc, as ram was quite expensive at that point in time.

with normal use of a psp, no one would ever know the difference tho, as it is mainly used by homebrew and/or "extended" features in the "newer" models.

only psp 1000 and 2000 models can be fully hacked / reinstalled with a pandora battery if bricked, all other models will be permanently bricked if something goes wrong when hacked.

• @Halvhjearne said in Help choosing psp model:

@ClassicGMR

i think you misunderstood something, the 32mb and 64mb is the size of the nand memory, not the actual ram.
    i belive the actual ram was 4mb iirc, as ram was quite expensive at that point in time.

Correct for the most part. The RAM was only intended to be used by Sony to improve loading times.

However - in the CFW updates the extra RAM is "unlocked" for emulator use. Only a couple of emulators actually took advantage of this though since most were already stable and written long before 6.60 ME. It also did nothing for PSP-1000 users since we don't have the extra RAM anyway.

• @ClassicGMR said in Help choosing psp model:

Correct for the most part. The RAM was only intended to be used by Sony to improve loading times.

However - in the CFW updates the extra RAM is "unlocked" for emulator use. Only a couple of emulators actually took advantage of this though since most were already stable and written long before 6.60 ME. It also did nothing for PSP-1000 users since we don't have the extra RAM anyway.

i think you are misunderstand the concept of nand memory.
    it is not like ram and will basicly only be written to when flashing firmware, as it has limited write cycles and "vital info" used by updates.
    if corrupted it can and will permabrick most psp's.

on "newer" models (3000 and newer), very few attempts to write custom code to the nand has even been succesful cause of security messures applied by sony on these models.
    only minor changes/hacks can be applied like when you use the patch to always boot to hen and even then there is a high chance of the psp permamentyl bricking.

• The PSP 3000 has a much more vibrant screen than the 2000 and it's more comfortable to hold than the GO. I've invested a lot of time modding it, but currently I much rather play the games on my 40 inch tv over the 4 inch psp screen. But it's great when you're on the move a lot.

• To be fair, I have a PSP 1000 and bought it before the 2000 was launched, but I always found the screen too blurry with fast animations. I always hoped that later models would have it fixed as it's my main complaint. Every now and then I do think of getting a second hand newer PSP in hope of hacking it.

The Vita is a fantastic machine, wonderful screen. I have one, not hacked, and play the Capcom Retro Collections and SEGA Mega Drive collection there for my retro gaming fix. I thought of hacking it a few times, but I still play a lot of the games there for now so I have no urgency in doing so.

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.