dionmunk last edited by dionmunk
Clean is a simple, modern theme for Emulation Station and RetroPie with a minimal focus that is designed to work on a variety of screen sizes. It started because I wanted something simple and easy to read for my Retroflag GPi Case. After I put that together, I decided to expand it to work on larger screens.
2020-06-08 - added bezel view
2020-04-05 - initial release
Clean has officially been added to RetroPie and can be installed within the RetroPie Setup if you have the latest RetroPie Setup Script.
- Go to ES THEMES in the Configuration menu.
- Scroll down and select entry
192 Install dionmunk/clean
- After the theme is installed, go back to Emulation Station
- Press Start on your input device to get to the MAIN MENU
- Select UI SETTINGS
- Scroll down to THEME SET and using left/right select CLEAN
- Press B twice to back out of the menu and your theme will change to CLEAN
The theme supports resolutions from 320x240 and up. The default template is 16:9. There are custom templates for different screen resolutions and you will want to customize the template based on the screen you plan to use by editing the
theme.xmlfile. Many of the system logos are from the Carbon theme by Eric Hettervick with small tweaks to make them look nice on a black background.
Feedback is appreciated and I would love to hear what you all think.
- templates for 320x240, 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 screens
- support for basic, detail, and video views with grid view support planned
- supports for Favorites, Last Played, and All Games.
- custom static splash screens in 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 ratios.
- custom video splash screens in 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 ratios. Available here.
- custom loading screens in 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 ratios (displays before and after loading a ROM).
- support for all of the same systems as Carbon theme since I based this theme off Carbon initially
- Alternate 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 layouts that place a CRT-like bezel over the game screenshot and/or video. Only works correctly if Use OMX Player is set to Off in the EmulationStation settings menu. See theme.xml file for more details.
Flat Panel TV 16:9 Aspect Radio
RetroFlag GPi Case Screen (4:3 aspect ratio at 320x240 resolution)
View on GitHub if you need help installing.
Thorr69 last edited by
I would so love a vertical arcade version of this.
tpo1990 last edited by
Nice simple theme. I can see this in a great way for users wanting something simple for their own RetroPie setup instead of other themes that either resemble an existing video console or a genre based theme.
I like it for it's simplicity, clean view and easy read of systems and games.
@Thorr69 I've thought about doing something like that. I have another theme in the works, and I may try the vertical layout. I'll let you know.
@tpo1990 That is precisely what I was going for. I wanted the focus to be on the system logos and game art while keeping a modern-type interface that is easy to navigate.
I added some screenshots of the 320x240 resolution. It is stripped down a little, but still has the information I felt was relevant. The theme is very close to being release ready.
sergioad last edited by
@dionmunk I love it, I only suggest you to use a dark grey line instead of a white one
@dionmunk any chance of a shutdown splash to go with the theme and opening splash? looks great by the way , can't wait for the release!
dionmunk last edited by dionmunk
@sergioad I'll try it out and see what I can come up with.
@skirocket I will put something together. Any thoughts on what you'd like to see? I'll take suggestions.
@dionmunk maybe the image going up from the opening splash and text saying goodbye thanks for playing or along them lines? so it matches. thanks again
any update on a release date?
@skirocket It's just about ready!
@dionmunk Hi there! Any chance you have completed the theme and splash screen? I would really like to try it out. Thanks :)
@T-Pokeman It's just about there! I've been caught up with some other projects that I haven't been able to put down and have been meaning to come back to this. I just have a bit of cleanup and then I'll get it posted on Git. I'll post back here when it's ready.
Thanks for the nudge to get it done!
@dionmunk Looking forward to the release :)
@T-Pokeman I just put up a working release of the theme. Check it out! I'd love to know what you think.
@skirocket I just put up a working release of the theme. Check it out! I'd love to know what you think.
@dionmunk I LOVE IT!! This is exactly what I was looking for!
Thank you so so much for the great work :)
I am having one slight issue though. The screen is dimming when I transition between the system title list, certain systems trigger the screen to dim. Any ideas what might be causing that?
@T-Pokeman Check the system transition style - that you can set in the UI settings - it's probably set to 'Fade'.
@T-Pokeman That is definitely a strange issue. I haven't seen that before. You couldn't post a video of it happening, could you?
@mitu Thanks for the suggestion. However I have the transition setting set to "instant." I have tried every transition style as well, and all yield the same result.