Issues installing Quake
I've been installing Quake and Quake 3 on Retropie 4.6, following the docs on Retropie page. So far, I've encountered this issues:
- There is no information about how to install mod packages.
- There is no music. I'm using lr-tyrquake, and the music (ogg files) is placed following the guide.
- Quake 3 has no documentation page, and is not included on Quake page.
- It should be noted that quake 3 files changed location from previous releases, and they are placed on /home/pi/Retropie/rom/ports/quake3 now.
- I've been unable to make Team Arena work. On some posts they say that the files must be placed at /home/pi/Retropie/rom/ports/teamarena but it doesn't work. What files and where should they be placed? (It is stated that the files are pak0.pk3, pak1.pk3, pak2.pk3 and pak3.pk3 but the Steam release only inclues pak0.pk3).
- It should be noted that Quake stores its key on /home/pi/.q3a/baseq3/q3key but I don't know if it could be included elsewhere (i.e.: at the same place at Q3 files) and make the quake3 installation script put it on the right place (so it can be auto loaded from USB).
Thanks in advance.
Not a really a solution as such ... but an alternative option if you wanna play Quake and Quake 3 Arena on Retropie (i'm using a Raspberry Pi 4)
Quake 1 PC Homebrew Port to PSP ... runs perfect in either lr-ppsspp or PPSSPP Standalone Emulator(s)
Quake 3 Arena ... Dreamcast version runs perfect in Redream
Both cases just require downloading the *.ISO and placing into the appropriate system folder ... and you're done. No setup, annoying configs or scripts ... just enjoy playing the game.
@ReadyPlayaWon The controls for Quake 3 on Dreamcast are pretty bad.
@ReadyPlayaWon There's no need for that, I was only making an observation.
@ReadyPlayaWon Well excuse me for having an opinion ; here I thought I was entitled to one.
For my money, I would bet that OP's problem stems from the Steam version. I didn't touch my Quake 3 installation since last year, but I recall the GOG version having the necessary files and it working pretty much out of the 'box'. I'll check later today.
ReadyPlayaWon Banned last edited by
Sorry, but Quake 3 DOES work (base files) if installed pk3 files are installed on /home/pi/Retropie/rom/ports/quake3. My issues with Quake 3 are that only the base game is working (no Team Arena) and that files locations is not documented on Quake documentation page.
@ReadyPlayaWon Enough of the attitude please.
@Zup I'm looking into Team Arena now.
I had music issues when I got Quake running earlier this year, but I don't recall why exactly.
Not trying to be pedantic but could you share your directory structure for quake? It may be a simple thing that you've overlooked.
Edit : I take it you followed this tutorial for Team Arena?
Edit 2 : Team Arena would not be documented as it's not supported by any 'official' RetroPie package.
@Zering My directories Quake are:
quake quake/dopa quake/hipnotic quake/hipnotic/music quake/rogue quake/rogue/music quake/id1 quake/id1/music
(parent is ~/RetroPie/roms/ports)
In Quake 3, I follow this structure:
I can't see the tutorial you linked, but in other tutorials said that I must use the files pak0.pk3, pak1.pk3, pak2.pk3 and pak3.pk3... but Steam only includes pak0.pk3 for Team Arena.
ReadyPlayaWon Banned last edited by BuZz
@Zup Try my link again, I just corrected an error.
The tutorial in the link says that the GOG version works, and has all the files you need. I'm checking now but I have to redownload it and my computer is very slow.
I assumed your quake/id1/music directory contains track02.ogg through to track11.ogg?
This is the guide I used when I encountered the same issue, maybe it will help you.
@Zering I think I've solved the issue with Team Arena... the Steam release is not up to date. It contains only the pak0.pk3 file, while pak1 through 3 were aded on a later patch.
I've downloaded the patch, applied it and copied the files to the Raspberry. Team Arena is running fine now.
@Zup Excellent! Did you make any headway with Quake 1's music?
ReadyP1ayaW0n Banned last edited by
aaah didums .. i said a naughty word :(
won't happen again ... until someone trash talks me and moderators take their side.
ReadyyP1ayaW0n Banned last edited by
Zup last edited by Zup
Sorry, I got distracted installing Doom and Quake 2.
After downloading a new set of ogg files, I've got the music working. It seem that my files were corrupted.
Now, the only question is how to use mods in lr-tyrquake...