What tool do you use for bulk ROM renaming?
socf last edited by
Just as the title says, what tool do u recommend for bulk ROM renaming? I have a case where i have 2000+ roms and they dont follow the naming standard. Instead they all begin with their number for system release; e.g. 0001 - GameTitle1, 00002 - GameTitle2. Which of course means they wont list alphabetically. I tried toying around with RomCenter but its not turnkey and seemed confusing to setup since it assumes you have access to ROM databases that dont come with it.
Any advice I would much appreciate, just need to do a bulk rename on some ROMS.
daeks last edited by daeks
I am using the latest beta of Romcenter together with DAT files from no-intro (http://datomatic.no-intro.org/).
joyrider3774 last edited by joyrider3774
Clrmame pro for me, even for none mame sets.
Although i have to admit i had one problem with clrmamepro the other day with a goodgb64 (commdore 64) set i had downloaded. the roms were all named incorrectly and when using clrmamepro to rename the zips it had renamed all zips correctly as well as the (root) filename inside the zip but had removed all extensions for the files inside the zip for some reason. Could be it had to do with the xml file i used (came from hyperlist of hyperspin because i'm using motionblue image). So what i did then was extract all zips in a new directory and then used dons-hyperspin-tools with CRC checking only it renamed the roms correctly and left the file extensions intact. (If the extension got removed i had problems loading the roms) afterwards i zipped each file again using winrar.
not sure what the problem was though since i had done the exact same thing with a hyperlist database XML for nintendo ds with clrmame pro and then i had left the rom extensions intact inside the zip. It was the first time i actually had a problem with clrmame pro.
edmaul69 last edited by edmaul69
@socf i use bulk rename utility. I removed all those numbers from my gba roms. And then i removed everything extra at the end of all my roms so all i have is just the game name. Cant do that with mame roms though.
socf last edited by
@edmaul69 Bulk rename utility = my new love. Supports regex. Thk u so much!
edmaul69 last edited by
@socf no problem bud. I edited about 30,000 files with it. Worked great for me. Saved me years of work
screech last edited by
Renaming Rom is not a so good Idea...
If the aim is to have a "nice" view of your gamelist, the better way is to scrape them.
Keeping the original name help a lot to scrape ;)
so, think about it twice before bulk rename ;)
trixta last edited by
I use ReNamer
brettoblaster last edited by
@screech I second this! I learned the hard way that using a bulk renamer was the sole cause of some ROMs not working at all. Scrape all the way! The only issue I had with scraping was that any game that started with "The" was put at the start of the title. Those I had to change manually. Also, some of the cover art was wrong, but nothing a little time and effort couldn't fix.
robertybob last edited by
I second this! I renamed all my roms then scraped and using sselph's scraper had no issues whatsoever :D
edmaul69 last edited by edmaul69
jonathan987 last edited by jonathan987
I use, Batch Rename Files Tool as the name would suggest, simplifies the process of renaming a large number of files by making it possible to process them as a batch. Files can be simply dragged and dropped into the program and you can then use 'methods' to choose renaming criteria. For example, you may choose to replace the identification letters automatically added by your file with the name of the month in which the file were maden. You can easily found hier BatchRenameFiles.org .
phulshof last edited by
I generally just write a quick Bash script to do the job for me. Invest some time in shell scripting; it'll save you a ton of work. :)
jell last edited by
I didn't change the filenames, but I wrote a python script to change the name that's displayed in the gamelist.xml file. It removed all those brackets/parentheses/countries, and only kept data related to how many players (for those games that have multiple versions, like a 2 player and 4 player version).
RetroFreak89 last edited by
I know Its off topic but maybe any of you know??
Is there a tool for android since i dont have a pc So i can grab the usa only roms from a fullset ? Because theres doubles in there because of European,Japan etc.. not sure how to grab just those..
Used2BeRX last edited by Used2BeRX
I did them all by hand. I started doing all of this back in the early XBox emulation days and you had to conform to the 42 character limit (38 + the .ext). Now I've got the roms, boxart, carts, title/action screenshots, game synopsis, gamefaqs, manuals and game videos with matching file names for every game. You don't even want to know how many years that took to do. :)
It's pretty awesome that on both the XBox and the Pi today you can name the files whatever you want and then display the full name and also use characters like
:that you couldn't put in the file name. The gamelists look awesome and sometimes I get more joy out of just scrolling through everything and looking at it than actually playing a game.
PiBoy last edited by
I use Renamer for Windows. It can clean up file names and delete those numbers you mentioned. Very nice program.