lr-mess2016 read-error on swap-device
NowArrivingHere last edited by NowArrivingHere
I've been trying to install Mess 2016 on my Raspberry Pi 3B. I'm running RetroPie 4.1.19.
About 6 hours of compiling later, I get to the point where it is linking "mess2016_libretro.so" and I get a series of four "Read-error on swap device". I'm going to attach an image here. I assume it is talking about a USB stick for a swap-file. I was not using anything like that.
Does anyone know what went wrong? Does anyone know if I will be able to resume this process, or will I have to spend another six hours recompiling? Assuming the compilation is complete, I would think that I would be able to pick up from the linking stage. I have not rebooted yet, as I am unsure if there is anything else I can do prior to rebooting. The terminal window itself appears responsive, though attempts to ssh or ftp into the pi have locked up.
EDIT: 44 minutes later, and the command-line has not produced anything else since those 4 error messages. It still responds when I type, so I don't think its completely frozen. However, attempts to ssh in via another computer have locked up.
EDIT: 2 hours later, and I finally gave in and hard rebooted. Had to hard reboot, as I couldn't kill the build process or use the proper reboot command. Plenty of stuff in the tmp directory for lr-mess2016, including the file that refused to link. Retropie setup menu for lr-mess2016 gives me the option to install from source or clean source folder.
NowArrivingHere last edited by
Alright, I redid the install, and it claims it completed this time. Been reading over the lr-mess page in the systems section. The directories it claimed would be there are present. Not able to get any mess systems running yet, though. Managed to set them to default to lr-mess2016, and the roms are picked up, but they don't actually start the game. Could be something with the script not setting up the machines of interest, as the lr-mess page claims it only sets up drivers for a few machines. However, it claims arcadia was setup automatically, and I can't get that one to do anything either.
Could come down to bad BIOS/ROM files, but I have a version of MAME (post MESS-merge) from 2016 on my laptop, and these files seem to work fine over there. Of course, the desktop version also takes the rom files natively (e.g. Supervision as .sv) rather than having to zip everything for the libretro port. That being said, I did try doing them natively as well on the libretro port, though that failed the same way. Still reading over logs to see if that turns up anything useful.
edmaul69 last edited by
@NowArrivingHere what system are you trying to run?
NowArrivingHere last edited by NowArrivingHere
I'm mostly working with old handhelds. The Arcadia 2001 is an exception.
The other systems would be the Hartung Game Master, the Watara Supervision, Milton-Bradley Microvision, and the Creatronic Megaduck.
As far as test games I am using the following:
Arcadia 2001: Astro Invaders
Hartung Game Master: Continental Galaxy, Space Castle
Watara Supervision: Jaguar Bomber
Creatronic Megaduck: Pile Wonder
Milton-Bradley Microvision: All of them.
All seem to work in my desktop version of Mame 0.180, but somehow lr-mess-2016 doesn't like them. Everything seems to be in order with required BIOSes for the Game Master.
I looked in the ini files and found preferred names for software (e.g. Continental Galaxy 2020 becomes cg2020 and retitled the .bin files and .zip files accordingly, but still nothing.
I recently tried running Space Castle on Game Master again, and got this in runcommand.log:
Executing: /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-mess2016/mess2016_libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/gmaster/retroarch.cfg "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/gmaster/scastle.zip" --appendconfig /dev/shm/retroarch.cfg
"scastle" approximately matches the following
supported software items (best match first):
/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh: line 961: 917 Segmentation fault /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-mess2016/mess2016_libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/gmaster/retroarch.cfg "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/gmaster/scastle.zip" --appendconfig /dev/shm/retroarch.cfg
UPDATE: I am currently trying these games on the desktop version of MAME 0.174 instead of MAME 0.180, as lr-mess2016 is apprently based on MAME 0.174. Desktop MAME 0.174 64-bit is running the Supervision and Game Master games just fine. Megaduck test game works in Desktop MAME 0.174 as well, though apparently I had the alternate version of Pile Wonder.
UPDATE: Game Master, Megaduck and Supervision games match names and CRC hashes with the games listed in the XML for lr-mess2016 and Desktop MAME 0.174. However, so do 13 of my 15 Microvision games, which don't appear to work in Desktop MAME 0.174 or lr-mess2016. Weird.