Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in

NES Advantage controller issues

  • ControlBlockService2 Version: from commit c9d0ab3 (May 21 2017)
    Pi Model: 3
    Power Supply used: CanaKit
    RetroPie Version: 4.1
    Built From: retropie-4.1-rpi2_rpi3.img.gz
    USB Devices connected: none
    Controller used: NES Advantage x2

    Problem Description: NES Advantage controllers only work about 10% of the time. The other 90% of the time the controller ports are ruined until reboot.

    How to replicate the problem: Boot with any combination of NES Advantage plugs plugged in to any ports, or remove a working regular NES Controller from any port and plug in a NES Advantage port. On boot the NES Advantage is not recognized, and the ports are effectively ruined and will no longer recognize regular NES Controllers. When replacing a regular NES Controller with a NES Advantage, a bunch of button presses happen and then the ports are effectively ruined and will no longer recognize regular NES Controllers.

    Flipping the 1/2 switch on a NES Advantage, when the ports are in the "broken state", will produce a short burst of seemingly random button presses, but does not fix the situation.

    Regular NES Controllers work always. On boot, or unplugging and swapping. As soon as a NES Advantage is introduced, there's a 9/10 chance of failure.

    When a NES Advantage controller is working the little lights under the turbo dials will light on button presses. If the lights aren't working by the time the ES logo appears, it's never going to work on this boot.

    Has anyone encountered this?

    Where should I start troubleshooting? The jstest tool doesn't respond when the NES Advantage has done its damage. Are there logs written anywhere?


  • Global Moderator

    I have just replied at Github. I suggest to continue this topic there:

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.