Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

01_retropie_copyroms seems broken (won't sync BIOS and configs)

• It seems that the 01_retropie_copyroms script is broken. When trying to sync from USB, the BIOS folder (and configs) will not sync. Only the "roms" directory will sync (at least for me). I believe the error is in the log_cmd function, but I'm not super great at bash scripting. The following seems to fix the problem, but it doesn't have the exact same functionality for error logging.

#!/bin/bash -ue
    # This file is part of The RetroPie Project
    # 
    # The RetroPie Project is the legal property of its developers, whose names are
    # too numerous to list here. Please refer to the COPYRIGHT.md file distributed with this source.
    # 
    # See the LICENSE.md file at the top-level directory of this distribution and 
    # at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/master/LICENSE.md
    #

## config / defaults
    user="pi"

home="$(eval echo ~$user)"
    rootdir="/opt/retropie"
    retropie_path="$home/RetroPie"

#UM_MOUNTPOINT="/media/usb"

usb_path="$UM_MOUNTPOINT/retropie"
    usb_path_from_rp="$usb_path/configs/from_retropie"
    usb_path_to_rp="$usb_path/configs/to_retropie"

declare -A path_mapping

# mapping from usb_path_to_rp/* to retropie location
    path_mapping["configs"]="$rootdir/configs"

## internals
    hook_name=${0##*/}

## functions
    function log() {
        logger -p user.$1 -t usbmount-"$hook_name"-[$$] -- "$2"
    }

function log_cmd() {
        local ret
        local error
    #    error="$("$@" 2>&1 >/dev/null)"
        eval "$@"
        ret=$?
        if [ "$ret" -ne 0 ]; then log err "${@} - returned $ret - [$error]"; fi
    }

## some sanity checking
    if [[ -z "$UM_MOUNTPOINT" ]]; then
        log err "UM_MOUNTPOINT not set!"
        exit 0
    fi

if [[ ! -d "$UM_MOUNTPOINT" ]]; then
        log err "UM_MOUNTPOINT is not a directory"
        exit 0
    fi

# make sure we have something to sync from
    if [[ ! -d "$usb_path" ]]; then
        exit 0
    fi

# make folders for syncing
    mkdir -p "$usb_path/"{roms,BIOS} "$usb_path_from_rp" "$usb_path_to_rp"

# mirror romdir structure to external drive
    log info "Attempting to create directory structure for ROMS in '$usb_path/roms' ..."
    # fetch list of romdirs from current installation and mirror onto external drive
    find "$retropie_path/roms" -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d -printf "$usb_path/roms/%f\n" | xargs mkdir -p 2>/dev/null || true

# copy ROMs/BIOS from USB stick to local SD card
    for dir in roms BIOS ; do
        log_cmd "rsync -rtu --exclude '._*' --max-delete=-1 \"$usb_path/$dir\" \"$retropie_path/\""
        chown -R $user:$user "$retropie_path/$dir"
    done

# copy configs to usb
    for to in "${!path_mapping[@]}"; do
        from=${path_mapping[$to]}
        log_cmd "rsync -rtu --exclude '._*' --max-delete=-1 \"$from/\" \"$usb_path_from_rp/$to/\""
    done

# copy configs from usb
    for from in $(find "$usb_path_to_rp/" -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1); do
        # basename
        from_bn=${from##*/}
        to=${path_mapping[$from_bn]}
        if [[ -n "$to" ]]; then
            #log_cmd 
            rsync -rtu --exclude '._*' --max-delete=-1 "$from/" "$to/"
            chown -R $user:$user "$to"
        fi
    done

# unmount USB stick
    umount "$UM_MOUNTPOINT"

Notice that I also changed the call to log_cmd to quote the entire argument.

• administrators

@flavor when's the last time you updated. There were some fixes done semi recently

• I think I updated maybe Tuesday. I don't think I updated the kernel, though.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that an update could have caused it or if I should update to fix it.

• administrators

@flavor after updating the setup script did you disable/re-enable the Usbromservice through the setup script to include the latest changes?

• @herb_fargus said in 01_retropie_copyroms seems broken (won't sync BIOS and configs):

@flavor after updating the setup script did you disable/re-enable the Usbromservice through the setup script to include the latest changes?

@herb_fargus No. Well, I didn't run anything manually. Is that something I need to run manually?
    I just searched and found https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/10386/usb-romservice-bios-transfer-bug/6 where I see @buzz may have already fixed it. I'll try to see what he changed.

I will try to see if I can do the usbromservice enable/disable thing tomorrow.

• I disabled/enabled the usbromservice. It seems to have updated the script (removed the -ue arguments from bash) and seems to be rsync'ing the BIOS/configs now.

Of course this is completely unintuitive for someone that does an update. I hope there's a way to have the update automatically disable/enable usbromservice to update the script.

Thanks for the help!

• administrators

@flavor I have some code that does this but it's not yet committed as needs testing. It should enable usbromservice to update when updating retropie without having to disable/re-enable. I will commit it once I have tested it further.

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.