Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

Gamecon driver fails to build on Kernel 4.19.x

• Pi3B+, using retropie-4.4.8-rpi2_rpi3.img.gz weekly from May 26 updated to 4.4.12

System: Linux retropie 4.19.42-v7+ #1219 SMP Tue May 14 21:20:58 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
    Loading new gamecon_gpio_rpi-1.3 DKMS files...
    It is likely that 4.19.42-v7+ belongs to a chroot's host
    Building for 4.19.42+ and 4.19.42-v7+
    Building for architecture armv7l
    Building initial module for 4.19.42+
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.19.42+ (armv7l)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/make.log for more information.

Make.log

DKMS make.log for gamecon_gpio_rpi-1.3 for kernel 4.19.42+ (armv7l)
    Mon 27 May 12:18:38 BST 2019
    make -C /lib/modules/4.19.42+/build M=/var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build modules
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.42+'
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/gamecon_gpio_rpi.o
    /var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/gamecon_gpio_rpi.c: In function ‘gc_probe’:
    /var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/gamecon_gpio_rpi.c:1138:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘setup_timer’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
      setup_timer(&gc->timer, gc_timer, (long) gc);
      ^~~~~~~~~~~
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    scripts/Makefile.build:309: recipe for target '/var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/gamecon_gpio_rpi.o' failed
    make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/gamecon_gpio_rpi.o] Error 1
    Makefile:1524: recipe for target '_module_/var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build' failed
    make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.42+'
    Makefile:5: recipe for target 'all' failed
    make: *** [all] Error 2

• Global Moderator

The error is quite obvious:

Module build for kernel 4.14.98-v7+ was skipped since the
    kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.

Also, I see at least 3 versions of 4.19.x, while Raspbian only released 1 update - did you use rpi-update to upgrade/downgrade your kernel ?

• @mitu I did not. As I said, I only use retropie-setup to update and choose "yes" to update underlying os a few minutes ago from an update from ~6hrs ago. I learned my lesson long ago to not update by other means if I want my pad driver to work. I reverted from my mistake and retro-pie update has worked for months until now. I guess those are the remnants? . I guess I can go back to a weekly and not update retropie at all.

I'll try and reproduce the problem on a clean weekly and update that.

• Global Moderator

@Darksavior It's not a RetroPie error - it's a Raspbian package that's missing.
    What version of kernel are you running ? You can install the corresponding package that has the kernel headers so the compilation would work.

• @mitu I decided to use the latest weekly retropie-4.4.8-rpi2_rpi3.img.gz from May 26 and I can't reproduce the problem. No idea why the kernel was updated on my main build. The driver still doesn't build on the weekly, though.

System: Linux retropie 4.19.42-v7+ #1219 SMP Tue May 14 21:20:58 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
    Loading new gamecon_gpio_rpi-1.3 DKMS files...
    It is likely that 4.19.42-v7+ belongs to a chroot's host
    Building for 4.19.42+ and 4.19.42-v7+
    Building for architecture armv7l
    Building initial module for 4.19.42+
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.19.42+ (armv7l)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/make.log for more information.

make.log

DKMS make.log for gamecon_gpio_rpi-1.3 for kernel 4.19.42+ (armv7l)
    Mon 27 May 12:18:38 BST 2019
    make -C /lib/modules/4.19.42+/build M=/var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build modules
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.42+'
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/gamecon_gpio_rpi.o
    /var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/gamecon_gpio_rpi.c: In function ‘gc_probe’:
    /var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/gamecon_gpio_rpi.c:1138:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘setup_timer’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
      setup_timer(&gc->timer, gc_timer, (long) gc);
      ^~~~~~~~~~~
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    scripts/Makefile.build:309: recipe for target '/var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/gamecon_gpio_rpi.o' failed
    make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build/gamecon_gpio_rpi.o] Error 1
    Makefile:1524: recipe for target '_module_/var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build' failed
    make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3/build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.42+'
    Makefile:5: recipe for target 'all' failed
    make: *** [all] Error 2

• Global Moderator

@Darksavior So it seems it's not building with 4.19.x, that's a real issue.

• @mitu I updated the topic to the real problem.

• administrators

You will have to downgrade your kernel for now - https://retropie.org.uk/forum/post/190436

• administrators

@Darksavior Topic isn't correct (says 4.4) - it fails to build on 4.19.x - I'll sort it.

• Global Moderator

Looks like the change that breaks the driver is in 4.15, when setup_timer was replaced by timer_setup in the Linux kernel internal API (https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kees/linux/+/for-linus-timers-conversion-final-v4.15-rc1, https://lwn.net/Articles/735887/).

• administrators

@mitu Ah. Nice work. Should be an easy IFDEF fix then. No way I know of though of contacting author (maybe email in package info?), but worst case we could fix this ourselves.

This would be better on a GitHub repo also imho. Maybe they would upload their unpackaged files if they don't already have a repository somewhere (if we can contact them).

• @BuZz The developer "marqs" sometimes posts on the raspberry pi forums. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15787

This is his github repo: https://github.com/marqs85/

• administrators

@Darksavior thanks! :-)

• Global Moderator

@Darksavior If you're willing to try a patched version (since I have don't have the hardware setup), you can clone from my fork and give it try with the new 4.19.x kernel.

# clone & setup
    git clone https://github.com/cmitu/gamecon_gpio_rpi
    cd gamecon_gpio_rpi
    sudo cp -r gamecon_gpio_rpi-1.3/ /usr/src/

# build the kernel
    sudo dkms add gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3
    sudo dkms build gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3
    sudo dkms install gamecon_gpio_rpi/1.3

• @mitu This works. Thanks! Thought I had to wait a few months like the last time the driver broke.

• Global Moderator

@Darksavior Alright, thanks for testing and reporting.
    I'll submit the patches upstream - the repo(s) you indicated, maybe we should change also the scriptmodule to pull the sources from there.

• Global Moderator

@Darksavior The changes have been pushed upstream and also added to the RetroPie's package. If you want, you can update your RetroPie-setup script and then re-install the gamecon driver package to see if it works.

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.