Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

Spaceoddity Transparency issue

• Pi Model or other hardware: 4b+
    Power Supply used: Original Pi ,3A
    RetroPie Version Used: 4.5.18
    Built From: I did a manual install ontop of: 2020-02-13-raspbian-buster.img
    USB Devices connected: MS Keyboard
    Controller used: PS4 Dualshock via BT
    File: spaceoddity theme
    How to replicate the problem:
    Install spaceoddity theme via RetroPie_setup.sh, Ive had this issue since several months (approx since December)

Hi Guys,

I have just reinstalled my retropie from scratch and I noticed that the spaceoddity theme isn't showing as it should, all images with transparent backgrounds show this weird gray instead of being transparent.
    Ive had this issue for a while, I thought it might of been my previous buggy retropie install (I tried many things out here and there) but a fresh install didnt help.
    Ive tried 4-5 other themes, they all appear to be showing correctly except spaceoddity. Help?

Screenshots

• @navi87 What is your ES vram limit set to? Are you using standard ES or ES-dev?

• the VRAM is set to 300mb and im using the standard ES which I installed via source through the retropie setup sh

• Right I manage to fix it by doing the following:

First of all close Emulationstation.

1. head into \etc\emulationstation\themes\spaceoddity_art" and delete the frame.png file.
    2. Duplicate the bg.jpg file and name rename the new file as frame.png
    3. go up one directory and open the theme.xml and change line number 190, you need to change the zIndex value to 80.

Save up and restart EmulationStation. All done!

• Global Moderator

I can see the same issue, it's probably a regression.

• My fault, I had accidentally set the clearcolor in ES to white instead of black

It's fixed in the latest source now on github.

• Global Moderator

Yep, looks fine now - thanks @Tomaz.

@navi87 If you want to grab to test the latest version - with @Tomaz's fixes - you have to install the emulationstation-dev package (it's in the experimental section of the packages).

• oh ok brilliant, thanks ill get myself updated.

• OK all done, thanks for the quick support. I am curious though, whats different with this Emulationstation-dev package compared to the normal one? @mitu

• Global Moderator

@navi87 It's easy - the -dev package is the development branch, where all new features/changes are added. Once in a while, this branch is promoted to stable, from where the regular emulationstation package in RetroPie is created.
    So, you're trading stable for development.

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.