Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

Different controller for specific emulator

• My project uses arcade controls, joystick + 4 buttons (via iPac, so keyboard) - which works well for MAME and old consoles. But it falls short on the PS1, so I want to use a PS3 controller (preferably via USB) for this.

I see on the wiki how to override control schemes (button mappings etc) with a per-emulator retroarch.cfg, but I'm missing how to:

• Set up a separate controller - when I try doing so from Emulation Station, it then takes over as my main controller - which I don't want
    • Then specify to use this USB controller instead of the keyboard for a specific emulator

Quite likely missing something obvious - but any insights much appreciated.

• administrators

Lets say you have two controllers, one in port zero, one in port one

alt text

And lets say you want the ps1 emulator to use the controller in port one. in /opt/retropie/configs/psx/retroarch.cfg you'd add

input_player1_joypad_index = "1"

above the #include line of course as mentioned here: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/RetroArch-Configuration

You can also use the built in configuration editor to make the edits. https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Configuration-Editor

• Aha - I'd missed that somehow - perfect, thanks! So just to check - sorry I'm not at the pi at the moment - even though it's technically a keyboard, does the iPac still count as a 'joypad' in this context - and I'd specify whatever port it's plugged into?

• administrators

@mw I don't own an ipac but as far as I understand it, it acts as a keyboard, so it behaves a bit different when you are trying to set a heirachy, I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is tbh as keyboard controls are defined by the overall retroarch.cfg, in theory they should be able to be overridden I would thing by system based retroarch.cfg files but you'd have to test. typically when modifying my keyboard controls I edit /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg so if you're trying to set a second player also on a keyboard you'd then add another section like

input_player1_a = "x"
    input_player1_b = "z"
    input_player1_y = "a"

to

input_player2_a = "s"
    input_player2_b = "d"
    input_player2_y = "f"

or whatever you are trying to set it as. (this is also how you can set two people to play on the same keyboard etc.)

• administrators

I own a Picade which also has the controls mapped to keyboard. Currently player 1 can be automatically configured via Emulation Station, but player2 controls have to be setup manually as described by @herb_fargus

I hope to improve automatic player2 set up for keyboard based inputs at some point in the future.

• @herb_fargus said:

@mw I don't own an ipac but as far as I understand it, it acts as a keyboard, so it behaves a bit different when you are trying to set a heirachy, I'm not sure what the best way to go about it

@BuZz said:

I own a Picade which also has the controls mapped to keyboard. Currently player 1 can be automatically configured via Emulation Station, but player2 controls have to be setup manually as described by @herb_fargus

Many thanks for the replies. I had already figured out the keyboard mapping for player 2 - working perfectly :) I was a bit stuck with the setup of the PS3 controller via USB - it was quite glitchy, I had to try many times over to get it recognised - maybe just mine? Anyway, got there eventually.

Adding to my psx retroarch.cfg

input_player1_joypad_index = "1"

Works as expected, thanks! Actually, better than expected - it maps the controller to player 1, but also leaves the player 1 keyboard map (ie iPac) intact. This is great because it means for some games - eg Tekken - that don't need the shoulder buttons, I can still use the arcade stick/buttons - but without having to make rom-specific configs.

• @herb_fargus any idea how it would work with a USB Hub?

Haven't had any issues until the update and now its goofy

(Keyboard is grabbed as port 0 and controller is port 1)

The hub is plugged into the same port it always has been

• @mw I’m having the exact same issue although I’m trying to set mine up with Bluetooth instead of usb.

How would I map the controller just for just psx but not take over as Main controls?

• @blitzgreig Start a new thread giving full info instead of a "me too" on a post that is a year and a half old. Things have changed quite a bit in that time. You'll get more responses.

• @blitzgreig look into using joystick selection. It lets you assign specific controllers to specific systems.

• @jonnykesh good point thanks

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.