@mitu I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this one. This must have happened when I loaded and compiled the MESS group of emulators, or when I added the Singe extension to Daphne.
At least now I know what's been causing me all the headaches. I didn't know there would be a difference in the two. The goal was to get as many emus working on my system...but obviously that created a small snafu I wasn't aware of.
So fixing this... I'll go through the RetroPie Setup repository and hopefully get back on track.
Thanks again for your help. Wow... I guess I really need to be more careful when I play around with all these fantastic emulators.
UPDATE: all is working great. I'm on the right repository, DosBox-Staging 77.1 is loaded and all is good. This can be closed.