Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

CPS2 vs PlayStation ports

• I play several CPS2 fighter games on Retropie, some of which I also have the PS1 port that I play on my PS3. I use the exact same gamepad paired via Bluetooth for both systems.

My question is: why is it so much harder to input complex commands in the arcade originals than the PS ports? Is there some sort of input "softening"programmed on the home versions? Because I seriously doubt that. Or is there something related to emulation?

Just some food for thought here. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

• Home versions all have a wider input buffer. Some of them allow you to switch back to the original input buffer. Maybe Alpha 3.

• That's basically why i never use ps3 controllers to play fighting games on fbalpha : the d-pad is awful for those games. It seems legit that the playstation port for those games had to deal with this.

• @barbudreadmon Yes, I remember when I first started playing SF in the original PS console. Being used to the SNES gamepad, I thought: Hey, did I just forget how to throw hadoukens? - The PS d-pad IS awful, indeed. By the way, what kind of controllers have you been using for that? Thanks!

• @barbudreadmon said in CPS2 vs PlayStation ports:

That's basically why i never use ps3 controllers to play fighting games on fbalpha : the d-pad is awful for those games. It seems legit that the playstation port for those games had to deal with this.

No, the d-pad is not at all the reason for the wider input buffers. It's also pretty widely accepted as the best d-pad on a controller and it's why a lot of fighting game tournament players still rely on PS3 controllers.

• @zerojay said in CPS2 vs PlayStation ports:

It's also pretty widely accepted as the best d-pad on a controller and it's why a lot of fighting game tournament players still rely on PS3 controllers.

That's weird, while i have no issue doing hadouken and such on snes controllers, saturn controllers, dualshock 4 and hori fighting commander, i'm always having a hard time with the dualshock 3. The few fighting game tournament i went to were either on original cabinets or on recent opus (and i didn't see anyone using gamepad on recent opus, let alone a dualshock 3).

• @barbudreadmon The only difference between the SNES dpad and DualShock 3 is missing bit of plastic right in the middle of the DS3 d-pad. Underneath, they are made the exact same way. It's all one chunk of plastic underneath hitting the same four contacts.

• @zerojay What about durability ? Perhaps the dpad on my dualshocks 3 are broken ? Even if it is kinda weird considering my saturn and snes controllers are a lot older...

• @barbudreadmon I hate the dpad on the DS3. The surface is too rough, doing things like shoryukens is hit or miss. The DS4 fixed all of that, it's the only gamepad I use for the Pi..I even prefer it over my arcade stick. (Probably also because I grew up playing fighting games with a gamepad.)
    I've heard about a guy using a ps1 controller competitively, but I've also never heard about people using the DS3.

• @bobharris said in CPS2 vs PlayStation ports:

I've heard about a guy using a ps1 controller competively

Yeah, some years ago i heard about some guy winning a capcom tournament (i don't remember if it was the pro tour, i'm pretty sure it was on sf4 though) with a playstation 1 controller. Actually i know the playstation 1 dpad was based on the snes one (not surprising, considering where the playstation project came from), but i'm really surprised it's still the case with the dualshock 3.

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.