Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

For the coders - 2 tiny ideas

• Hey coders!

I'm no such, but I'd love to learn how to:

1: create an XML of a folder content. E.g. my ROMS catalog. Having a spreadsheet of all my games, basically.

2: Is it possible to have "launching" images depending on your choice of emulator? If I was to change from MAME2003 to FBA (see this thread) it'd be cool if the launching-image matched this, without me having to manually copy and renaming another launching image every time. Is this already done by someone?

• Global Moderator

@andershp said in For the coders - 2 tiny ideas:

1: create an XML of a folder content. E.g. my ROMS catalog. Having a spreadsheet of all my games, basically.

Each system's game list is stored in the `/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/[SYSTEM_NAME]/gamelist.xml', already in XML format, having entries like:

<game>
            <path>/home/pi/ROMs/nes/mm2.nes</path>
            <name>Mega Man 2</name>
            <desc>Mega Man 2 is a classic NES game which follows Mega Man as he murders eight robot masters in cold blood.</desc>
            <image>~/.emulationstation/downloaded_images/nes/Mega Man 2-image.png</image>
        </game>

2: Is it possible to have "launching" images depending on your choice of emulator?

I think this needs modification for the Runcommand script, to choose automatically the image based on the emulator used, instead of the system (NES/SNES/etc.)

• @andershp You can use the following commands to create a list of your games for a system:

cd /path/to/gamelist.xml
    grep "<name>" gamelist.xml >> roms.txt

You can open roms.txt in a text editor and use the Find and Replace tool to replace the <name> and </name> tags with blanks. Then you can copy and paste the contents to a spreadsheet.

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.