Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

dosbox local configuration under the new setups

• Since it is now possible to directly launch bat/com/exe's from gamelist.xml,
    my problem now is that I do not know how it is possible to locally configure a game via dosbox.conf

Meaning: if before I could launch a file containing, say:
    #!/bin/bash
    /opt/retropie/emulators/dosbox/bin/dosbox -conf localdosboxfile.conf -c "mount c /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/"
    -c "c:" -c "cd /(game folder)" -c "(gamename).exe" -c "exit"

now that I launch directly the dos executable, how do I specify localdosboxfile.conf ?

• ... I just wanted to add that putting a "dosbox.conf" file in the executable directory doesnt work - it is not read.
    Even having a local /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/Privateer/dosbox.conf, I get this:

$ cat /dev/shm/runcommand.log 
    Parameters: 
    Executing: bash /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/+Start\ DOSBox.sh "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/Privateer/p.bat"
    DOSBox version SVN
    Copyright 2002-2013 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.

CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /home/pi/.dosbox/dosbox-SVN.conf
    ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
    MIDI:Opened device:none
    One joystick reported, initializing with 4axis
    Using joystick USB Gamepad  with 4 axes, 12 buttons and 1 hat(s)```

• @alexxx If you wish to use a game specific conf file, then you cannot use the bat file to launch the game.

You can create a .sh script, similar to the one in your first post, to launch games. More info on setting this up at: https://dosonthepi.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/dosbox-configuration-for-individual.html

The +Start Dosbox.sh script was updated recently so that .conf files can now be used to launch games. To launch Wing Commander: Privateer, I can create a text file, Wing Commander: Privateer.conf in the pc roms folder and add the following:

[sdl]
    mapperfile=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/dosbox-map/priv.map

[joystick]
    timed=false

[autoexec]
    # Lines in this section will be run at startup.
    # You can put your MOUNT lines here.

mount c /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc
    c:
    cd PRIV
    PRIV.EXE

In the .conf file, you need to only include options that differ from the defaults in dosbox-SVN.conf and the commands to launch the game in the [autoexec] section. In my example, I have included a path to a mapper file in the [sdl] section and changed the option timed=false in the [joystick] section to fix issues with my PS3 controller.

• @dudleydes thank you for the fast reply!
    Unfortunately the second way you suggest doesnt seem to work: I put privateer.conf in gamelist.xml, and created privateer.conf following your suggestion - I just added a line for the iso mount: mount d "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/Privateer/wc.iso" -t iso

... yet the output is the same as before:

Parameters: 
    Executing: bash /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/+Start\ DOSBox.sh "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/Privateer/privateer.conf"
    DOSBox version SVN
    ---
    CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /home/pi/.dosbox/dosbox-SVN.conf
    ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
    MIDI:Opened device:none
    Using joystick USB Gamepad  with 4 axes, 12 buttons and 1 hat(s)

but, worse, the game doesnt even launch!

• administrators

@alexxx Did you update RetroPie-Setup and the dosbox emulator first ?

• @buzz - didnt think about it, I thought it was rather recent build.
    I just did it and now at least it launches, but exits immediately with "privateer cd not found/JEMM unloaded"... we are near to the solution :-)

Aleso the log changed a bit, at least now it admits that it reads the local conf file.
    But from the logfile it's clear that it isnt really using the conf file (see e.g. the joysticktype), which I pasted at the end:

Parameters: 
    Executing: bash /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/+Start\ DOSBox.sh "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/Privateer/privateer.conf"
    Requested buffer size 32768, fragment size 8192
    ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 32768, period size 8192 bytes
    TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
    Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3
    Requested buffer size 32768, fragment size 8192
    ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 32768, period size 8192 bytes
    DOSBox version SVN
    ---
    CONFIG:Loading additional settings from config file /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/Privateer/privateer.conf
    ALSA:Client initialised [128:0]
    MIDI:Opened device:alsa

privateer.conf:

[joystick]
    joysticktype=2axis
    timed=false

[autoexec]
    # Lines in this section will be run at startup.
    # You can put your MOUNT lines here.

mount d "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/Privateer/wc.iso" -t iso 
    mount c /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/Privateer
    c:
    cd PRIV
    PRIV.EXE

• sorry guys, my mistake - I just discovered that mount is for folders, while imgmount is for ISOs... see http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT

now it almost works, launching the program.

What is still missing is that the logfile keeps on showing my setup as a 4axes joystick, yet I set it up as 2axes in privateer.conf!

CONFIG:Loading additional settings from config file /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/Privateer/privateer.conf
    ALSA:Client initialised [128:0]
    MIDI:Opened device:alsa

• @alexxx I believe the Using joystick message is the joystick information SDL reports to DOSBox. For my PS3 controller, I get the following:

Using joystick Sony PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller with 27 axes, 19 buttons and 0 hat(s)

I do also get the following message which confirms my joysticktype setting.

I have checked the dosbox-SVN.conf file and the 2axis setting allows support for two joysticks.

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.