EmulationStation Scraper saving html file as image
Pi Model or other hardware: 3b
Power Supply used: NorthPanda 3amp
RetroPie Version Used (eg 3.6, 3.8.1, 4.1 - do not write latest): 4.4
Built From: PINN
USB Devices connected: Controller
Controller used: SNES style USB Gamepad
Error messages received:
lvl0: Could not resize image! (not enough memory? invalid bitdepth?)
lvl2: ScraperSearchComponent search error: Error saving resized image. Out of memory? Disk full?
File: \RETROPIE\configs\all\emulationstation\downloaded_images\gba\Grand Theft Auto Advance (U)-image.jpg
Attachment of config files: https://pastebin.com/ziac0rWJ - es_log.txt
https://pastebin.com/DQESDJAh - Grand Theft Auto Advance (U)-image.jpg
How to replicate the problem: Scraping any games from EmulationStations built in scraper brings up a message saying error saving resized image. but it downloads an image file seen above with html inside (html is attached in pastebin file).
@redzombiehd It seems that the thegamesdb.net site, the scraping source, has changed their API location and scraping fails for some games. I'm not sure if the scraper in Emulationstation needs to be updated, so for now there's nothing you could do.
For now, you could try and use a Windows based scraper or the alternate scraper included in RetroPie - https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Scraper/#sselphs-scraper-advanced-configuration.
EDIT: It looks like the API calls are ok, but the art files are served from
legacy.thegamesdb.net. Since they're changing the site (started about 1 month ago), they probably haven't finished migrating everything. So far the forums are empty, so there's little information about their schedule or the changes they added.
Cheers, I guessed that was the reason but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something wrong with my system. Do I need to create a support ticket?
Do I need to create a support ticket?
No, for now use an alternate scraper until thegamesdb.net site is fully migrated.
If you only need to update a couple games and just want a picture for now and don't care about the rest of the meta data...
You can download an image from the internet, save it to /configs/emulationstation/downloaded_images/"system"/ (sorry if I got the path wrong but you get the idea).
Then find the associated rom coding in the gameslist.xml file... /configs/emulationstation/gamelists/"system"/
Add the appropriate image path
You can also rename the rom meta data here that you want.
@Keltron3030 not sure what I am doing wrong but when I edit the gamelist.xml and restart ES, the xml goes back to the original state w/o my changes (yes I am saving my changes!) The changes show when I cat the file, but once I restart ES the changes are reverted.
I ended up moving the new rom to a tmp directory, restarted ES, edited xml file again, moved rom back, restarted ES again now it's happy.
Do you have "save meta data on exit" enabled in emulationstation?
I believe that will need to be enabled for the changes to persist.
It should be on by default.
Also, make sure there's only 1 entry in gameslist.xml for the rom your working on.
@Keltron3030 yea it was the only entry in the xml file. Save meta on exit is on.
pi@retropie:/opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation $ more es_settings.cfg | grep -i SaveGamelistsOnExit
<bool name="SaveGamelistsOnExit" value="true" />
I wonder if that was actually my problem since I was manually editing the xml while ES was running, it was saving what it had active back to the xml. I bet if I shutdown ES and just did the edit and relaunched it would have been fine. I have a couple others I need to add that I will test that with but that makes sense to me.
Keltron3030 last edited by Keltron3030
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing however I'm almost positive that I made changes to XML with emulationstation open. So all I can think is, did you at the same time make a change to the metadata in emulationstation for the rom you were editing? Like an unsuccessful scrape then save. Even saving nothing could trigger a commit of blank entries to the XML file on exit. In this case you're probably right turning off the save metadata on exit and making the changes while running would probably work or making the changes with emulationstation off would probably also work. This is of course all speculation since I haven't thoroughly tested it.
@Keltron3030 I did a couple more, they worked fine with ES open while editing. I also added more data to the one that was giving me issues previously (player and release date) and it was there after restart. I'll just chalk it up to zinc whiskers. Hopefully the gamesdb is working soon...
Yep, zinc whiskers... 😉 or like I said maybe you saved metadata in emulationstation (failed scrape then save). That could trigger a data write to XML for that entry (albiet a blank one).
Anyway, glad it's working and hopefully dbgames will be up soon and we can forget this nightmare😋
Awesome thanks everyone for the quick fix.
btw @mitu has anyone ever told you your megaman looks like he is playing ping pong... (with the online status)
megaman looks like he is playing ping pong
Yep, it's all I see in the forums :).