Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

Manually adding emulator(s)?

• I've been using RetroPie on a Rpi 3b+ for a while now and bought an Intel NUC as replacement: more power for N64, Dreamcast etc.
    I really love RetroPie and to be honest I would love to have it running on my NUC as well.
    But I bought the NUC especially for Dreamcast emulation. I tried Redream (latest closed source edition) on Windows and it runs rather well. There is also a Linux variant.
    Is it possible to have this emulator in RetroPie? Can I manually download it, install it and than use it in RetroPie?

• administrators

@Panja redream is included under experimental.

• Thanks for the fast reply.
    Are you serious?! I though the version of Redream was the open source variant from a few years back.

This is awesome!

Is the version that is under experimental a recent version?

• Global Moderator

This post is deleted!

• administrators

Sorry. It's just the open source libretro core. I missed that bit.

• Ok, no problem.
    Back to my original question than...

Is it possible to have this emulator in RetroPie? Can I manually download it, install it and than use it in RetroPie?

• Global Moderator

@Panja said in Manually adding emulator(s)?:

If it has a version that runs on Raspbian for Raspberry PI, then you maybe have a chance of making it run.

• There is a Linux variant but I think it's x86.
    But I will be running RetroPie on x86 hardware as well.
    So wouldn't that work?

If so can you point me in the right direction?

• Global Moderator

If you install one of the RetroPie's Dreamcast emulators, you'll have an emulators.cfg file in /opt/retropie/configs/dreamcast, which lists the available Dreamcast emulators. For instance, if you installed lr-reicast you'll get the file below:

lr-reicast = "/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-reicast/reicast_libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/dreamcast/retroarch.cfg %ROM%"

You can add a new emulator for the system with a new line that describes how the emulator should run your ROM

lr-reicast = "/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-reicast/reicast_libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/dreamcast/retroarch.cfg %ROM%"
    # New Dreamcast emulator
    my-emulator="/full/path/to/emulator/program %ROM%"

and you substitute the values for my-emulator and the path to the emulator. %ROM% will be automatically completed by RetroPie with the full path to the ROM file. Of course, the emulator must support loading a ROM directly and starting automatically with that ROM and it might need additional command line paramers to instruct it to load the ROM - you add the parameters to the command line.

After you add the lines, use the Runcommand lanch menu to choose your emulator entry for the ROM (or the whole system).

• Wicked!
    Sounds if it should work.
    As far as I'm aware Redream can load roms from the commandline.

• Finally got around to test it and I can confirm it works!
    Thanks

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.