1080p RetroPie Borders/Overlays
SuperFromND last edited by SuperFromND
Howdy! I made some overlays for RetroPie, and decided to share them in case anyone else wanted them.
These overlays are intended for 1920x1080 (1080p/FHD) displays, with "integer scaling" enabled for games, and 1:1 aspect ratio. This thread will be updated with more overlays as I create them.
- Download the overlay(s) that you want. Ideally, name the PNG files after the respective system.
- Open a text editor and paste the following contents:
overlays = 1 overlay0_overlay = System.png overlay0_full_screen = true overlay0_descs = 0
- Replace "System.png" with whatever you named the PNG file
- Save the file the same as whatever you named the PNG file, but with a .cfg extension
(Example: NES.png and NES.cfg)
- Repeat the above three steps for each image
- Place all of your PNG and CFG files into
/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch/overlays/borders(On a Samba share, this would be
From there, you can simply follow the instructions on this page to set the overlay for each core or game.
320x240/640x480 (Dreamcast, N64, Sega Master System)
This border can also be used as a "4:3 aspect ratio" border.
It should be worth noting the NES's actual resolution is 256x240. However, RetroArch removes vertical parts of the screen by default due to overscan artifacts.
320x200/640x400 (MS-DOS, PC88, PC98)
384x272 (Commodore 64)
320x244 (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Neo Geo)
256x240 (TurboGrafx 16)
160x144 (Game Boy and Game Boy Color, Sega Game Gear)
240x160 (Game Boy Advance)
384x224 (Virtual Boy)
224x288 (Namco Galaga-based arcade games)
320x212 (Atari 2600)
Game-Specific: The Neverhood