Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

Weird sound issue

• Hi guys. I'm running Retropie 4.5.1 and for some reason I dont get sound through hdmi. I'm getting the error:

failed to attach to default card and that is stopping me from playing most games.

What I've tried:

• Edit Config.txt to ensure that the line "dtparam=audio=on" was present. And it is

-Edit retroarch.cfg and changed:
    audio_driver =
    audio_device =

so it is:

audio_driver = "ALSA"
    audio_device = "sysdefault:CARD=ALSA"

I've also added the hdmi force lines as well.

Lastly, I've tried with a completely different sound source (3.5mm jack) which does not work either.

What can it be ?

• Global Moderator

Are you sure it's not just the volume that's really low and you need to turn it up ? The retroarch.cfg lines are not necessary - just make sure HDMI is selected as audio (use the Audio entry in RetroPie to choose it) and use alsamixer to raise up the volume.

• @mitu See that's also part of the problem.. When I press start and Sound settings, the volume is at 0% and everytime I turn it up, it is not saved, but goes back to 0%.. In Audio settings though, using the aslamixer, its on 58%. I have chosen HDMI with no result whatsoever.

• Global Moderator

@RpiBeginner The sound settings in Emulationstation do not affect RetroArch. You probably need to change Audio Device to PCM and you'll have the same sound level as in alsamixer.
    I was referring to the Audio settings entry in the RetroPie system - where you can choose the output (HDMI/Analog/Both).

• @mitu

I was also referring to the audio settings in the retropie system.. I was saying that I have looked both places,

How would it matter if I change the volume in retropie system settings to the same as the alsa mixer? When I just told you it does not save the option? Anyway I did what you suggested and it did not do anything.

• Okay so I ended up reflashing the sd card and start from scratch, which helped.

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.