Two errors on Ubuntu
There are two errors that I get while starting roms (both in MAME and PSX). First would be:
lvl0: VolumeControl::init() - Failed to find mixer elements!
This is from EmulationStation, triggered by an incorrect audio configuration. You should set the 'Audio Device' to 'Default', then try setting 'Audio Device' one of the the values available - PCM, Master, etc. This should make the 'System Volume' slider work (otherwise it would be stuck on 0%).
If none of the 'Audio Device' values work, then exit EmulationStation and run
amixer scontrols card=0
Look for the mixer names shown - get the 1st name and add it to
$HOME/.emulationstation/es_settings.cfg, in the
<string name="AudioDevice" value="VALUE" />
Start again EmulationStation and see if volume slider works.
while second is:
run time error: negative field index $-1 filename="-" fnr=1 nr=1.
That looks like a runcommand issue. Please add more info about your setup - hardware and Ubuntu version.
From a terminal, run
xrandr --verboseand post the output on pastebin.com.
Here is my setup:
No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS Release: 18.04 Codename: bionic
Device: desktop System: LENOVO product: XYZ v: ThinkCentre M93p serial: N/A Mobo: LENOVO model: SHARKBAY v: XYZ WIN serial: N/A UEFI: LENOVO v: FBKTDBAUS date: 12/24/2019 CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-4570T (-MT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 1230 MHz 2: 1293 MHz 3: 1109 MHz 4: 1242 MHz Graphics: Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller Display Server: N/A drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 80x35 Advanced Data: N/A out of X Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Def. Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
I did what you suggested with amixer and here is the result of first command:
a1up@a1upmk:~$ amixer scontrols card=0 Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0 Simple mixer control 'IEC958',1 Simple mixer control 'IEC958',2
So I picked IEC958 and put it into es_settings.cfg as suggested:
<string name="AudioDevice" value="IEC958" />
The only difference is that instead of one Failed to find mixer elements error I get three.
About xrandr it turned out that I am missing xll-xserver-utils package so I installed it to run xranrd but after installation of this package those run time errors disappeared. Still, here is the result of command:
Melvin.FoX last edited by
So, the device should be either Master or S/PDIF. My guess is that Master would be the correct choice - did you try setting it in the ES ?
<string name="AudioDevice" value="Master" />
did I get you correctly?
@Melvin-FoX Yes, but you can set this option from EmulationStation's menu directly, without editing the file.
You are amazing :) Thanks for your help.
Could I ask you for one more tip? I made some mistake and saved core configuration, which I removed and reverted it from retroarch.cfg.rp-dist file but still had different config (etc. incorrect aspect ratio). So I removed the whole retroarch and reinstalled it from retropie_setup.sh script.
The problem is that right now retroarch looks different (it has more "android look" with battery icon on top etc.) and has some default, default settings and I can't even properly set hotkeys bind (even from retropie_setup). How could I revert it to original/default?
@Melvin-FoX You've used the 'Reset' menu in RetroArch and it now uses the 'default' menu driver (Ozone/XMB), instead of the RetroPie's default (RGUI).
If restoring the default RetroPie config (from retroarch.cfg.rp-dist) doesn't work, then check the configuration for the system you're using (
nes, etc.), in the system's config folder (
\\retropie\configs\<system_name>) there is a
retroarch.cfgfile that overrides the general configuration file. To reset it to RetroPie's defaults, you should remove the
retroarch.cfgfile, then re-install the
lr-emulator for that system, which would generate the correct
Melvin.FoX last edited by
I removed cfg file from arcade folder and I'm back on RGUI. Still having some problems as keys set in ES does correspond to those in RetroArch but I guess I have to do some further steps removing "broken" retroarch.cfg files from few places and then reinstall RA from setup script and hope it will fix it.
Thanks a lot for your help!!!!!!!