Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

Lr-mame 20xy and handheld games

• Hi, What is the best way to set Lr-mame 20xy to play handheld games like games from Tiger Electronics LCD handheld. I read post and recommendations but I don't know if It's doable? If yes, which Mame version and what is the good way to set .ini file or do something else?

In this post, to set MAME with an accessible .cpp file they use a .ini file called driver.ini where they point the good .cpp file with the good game. Can we use those lines in the only mame.ini file I found in the etc/ folder?

Exemple of what we see in driver.ini:

[hh_pic16.cpp]
    flash
    hccbaskb
    leboom
    maniac
    matchme
    melodym
    pabball
    rockpin
    tbaskb
    touchme
    ttfball
    ttfballa
    us2pfball
    uspbball
    [hh_sm510.cpp]
    bassmate
    exospace
    gnw_ball
    gnw_bfight
    gnw_bfightn
    gnw_bjack
    gnw_boxing
    gnw_bsweep
    gnw_cgrab
    gnw_chef
    gnw_climber
    ''etc...''

I read we can create a mame.ini in /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-mame20xy . Is It a good way to do that?

Thanks
    Regards

• Global Moderator

@DTEAM said in Lr-mame 20xx and handheld games:

In this post, to set MAME with an accessible .cpp file they use a .ini file called driver.ini where they point the good .cpp file with the good game.

That's for displaying in the MAME - native - interface, not sure what has to the playability of the game.

Can we use those lines in the only mame.ini file I found in the etc/ folder?

No.

• Would there be another way to play these handheld games with Lr-mame 20xy in Retropie?

• Global Moderator

You don't want lr-mame20XY, but lr-mess20XY or mame. The lr-mame20XY cores only handle arcade games.

For lr-mess cores, see https://retropie.org.uk/docs/MESS/. If you want to use mame, then you can create a separate system and use mame <driver> %ROM% as the running command.

The list of 'drivers' for each type of game is listed in the Reddit post you mentioned (e.g. for Tiger Electronics, the driver is named hhtiger, etc.)

EDIT: mame's full path is /opt/retropie/emulators/mame/mame.

• It works with regular MAME without specific setup !! It works only in the Arcade folder for now. I have set a new system, so now I have Tiger Electronics LCD handheld as a new machine. I have to run the game a first time in arcade to be able to run It in my Tiger folder. It's stange. I'll see what happens in the roms path.
    These games files requires external artwork files. I'm gonna try to found It.

Can we set hotkeys to exit or one key for that.
    Thanks

• @DTEAM said in Lr-mame 20xy and handheld games:

I have to run the game a first time in arcade to be able to run It in my Tiger folder. It's stange. I'll see what happens in the roms path.

I fixed It
    I added a new rompath in mame.ini called tigerh (my new system) (see first line)

rompath /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame;/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade;/home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS/mame;/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/tigerh;
    hashpath /opt/retropie/emulators/mame/hash
    samplepath /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame/samples;/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/samples
    artpath /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame/artwork;/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/artwork

etc...

• Global Moderator

You can probably add just a hhtiger.ini containing differences from the main file (mame.ini):

rompath /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/tigerh
    artpath /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/tigerh/artwork

EDIT: to exit, you'll have to use the MAME UI and map the UI cancel (?) manually. By default it's the ESC key.

• @mitu said in Lr-mame 20xy and handheld games:

EDIT: to exit, you'll have to use the MAME UI and map the UI cancel (?) manually. By default it's the ESC key.

Thanks!
    It's quite fun to use MAME for handheld systems. I didn't think it was an option in the MAME romset. I will go to sleep less dumb tonight

• Global Moderator

Game & Watch games are also fun, but the artwork rendering is going to be killer on a Pi.

• @mitu
    not bad also with Tiger Handheld on Retropie (-;
    Batman.jpg
    Thanks for your support. It works perfectly !!!

Frameskip must be set at : Auto (set with F8 and F9). Those games didn't have a big number of image per second on there original format, so frameskip = Auto doesn't affect the playability and recreate a good gaming experience.

Note : I put the artwork folder in the main roms folder. Easier to manage. Not displayed in games menu and no chmod to do.

• @DTEAM said in Lr-mame 20xy and handheld games:

Note : I put the artwork folder in the main roms folder. Easier to manage. Not displayed in games menu and no chmod to do.

Better than that , I created an artwork folder in /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS/mame
    and linked It to mame.ini. Now, It works for lr-mess and MAME !! Fantastic

gamecom.jpg

• @DTEAM How well does game.com run?

• @zerojay
    54.70 FPS almost full speed
    Good sound
    Good gameplay
    Good gaming experience
    Overall: Very nice

• I have pre-sorted the list of handheld gaming systems in MAME (excepted Tiger Handheld and Game & Watch). I have not tested any system. I have sorted them by distributors for those who want to create new systems on their Pi and I have indicated those who had Artwork. I discarded those that seemed difficult to play on a Pi. Please feel free to comment on your gaming experience, which ones work or not and if I forgot systems.

For systems pictures see with a MAME name in the search tool here

imageedit_1_6571765178.png

• It works well for Konami and Game & Watch too.
    Blade.jpg
    bos.jpg
    DDKONG.jpg
    bf.jpg

Finally, I created 6 systems:

• Konami Handheld
    • Game & Watch (with madrigal and MAME romset (including Elektronika))
    • Tiger Handheld
    • Tiger R-Zone
    • Classic Handheld systems (non-game & watch from madrigal and all other manufacturers in the MAME romset such as Coleco, Entex, etc.)
    • All in one handheld console (MAME functional systems : M505NEO,mc_tv200, njp60in1, sy888b, sy889, DGUN2573, rminitv, unk1682, ii32in1, ii8in, intact89, intg5410, miwi2_7, zone7in1 -------> Note: Some of those need to be set with frameskip = Auto , some systems have imperfect sound and have problems with main screen, but games are ok most of the time. The first five "All in one handheld consoles" have the best performances)

812BA9XzfBL.AC_SX425.jpg
    Porta.png
    61fUOBy20jL.AC_SY450.jpg

IMPORTANT (for LCD systems ) : By default, they run at 33 FPS. Frameskip must be set at : Auto (set it with F8 and F9). Those games didn't have a big number of images per second on there original format, so frameskip = Auto doesn't affect the playability and recreate the real gaming experience.

• All in one handheld console like introduced above
    Best performance
    m505neo
    mc_tv200
    njp60in1
    sy888b
    sy889
    rminitv
    dgun2573
    unk1682

Playable - Some of those need to be set with frameskip = Auto , some systems have imperfect sound and have problems with main screen, but games are ok most of the time.
    ii32in1
    ii8in
    intact89
    intg5410
    miwi2_7
    zone7in1

Tested and Not working - in development
    dgun2500
    dgun2561
    dgun2572
    dgun2953
    dgun2593
    myac220
    bkid218
    dphh8630
    mc_hh210
    mog_m320
    rfcp168
    rhhc152
    unkunsp
    nprsp
    ragc153
    rbitgen
    rtvgc300
    rtvgc300fz

If I forgot some handheld consoles from the 0.225 MAME Romset, feel free to share It. For Mame driver and comments, see here . Just with this driver (nes_vt.cpp), they propose 103 All in One mini arcades . Still a lot of testing to do! Some other drivers are vt_unknown.cpp, vt1682.cpp, spg2xx_zone_32bit.cpp and all spg2.... .cpp .

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.