Composite out broken on RetroPie 4.5

It has come to our attention that composite video out is broken on the 4.5 image due to a firmware bug.

We updated the firmware/kernel to one from Raspbian Buster as the latest Raspbian Stretch kernel had an issue breaking Sony Bluetooth devices. However it seems that the more recent firmware has stopped composite output from working.

This is the upstream issue. It has been fixed, but it isn’t yet available as a Raspbian update. https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1166.

If you have already installed 4.5 – you can fix this by downgrading the Kernel. You can do this via SSH if you have no display output. You can enable SSH by making a file called ssh in the /boot folder using another system. See https://retropie.org.uk/docs/SSH/#enable-ssh.

Once you have access to the command line you can manually downgrade the Kernel with the following command (after running this reboot, and you should be on the older firmware and kernel).

sudo ~/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh raspbiantools install_firmware 1.20190401-1

This older version also works with Sony Bluetooth devices. RetroPie-Setup will only try and update the kernel again if you choose to update system packages.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We will update to a newer kernel as soon as one is available.

RetroPie USA trademark resolved

Good news! We now own the trademark for RetroPie in the USA thanks to help and support from Eckland & Blando.

In February 2017 it came to our attention that a 3rd party had trademarked the RetroPie name in the USA. They were using the trademark to illegally sell our software and take down anyone else they saw doing the same, even those that just sold hardware and respected our software licences.

We posted asking for legal help on this site, and we were overwhelmed with all the offers of support. Thanks!

We decided to accept a very generous offer of help from Daniel Cragg at Eckland & Blando, who offered to resolve the situation for us for free, with us only covering the paperwork filing costs.

There were a few hurdles along the way, as although the person who dishonestly registered our name agreed to cancel it, they managed to make a mistake with the paperwork, so it took additional time and work from Eckland & Blando to get the situation resolved. Finally though, the trademark is now ours!

I want to say a huge thank you to Daniel, Jared and co at Eckland & Blando for all the time they put into resolving this for us. We couldn’t have done it without you. Cheers!