I have done some menu restructuring tests on the add_ext_repos.sh script, which basically used the dialog api in the same way as our add-mamedev-systems.sh
I did this on this script because it still contained just 1 main-menu.
So this was an easy way to test my idea to use comma separate values in the array.
I wanted to make a structure so :
the code is easy to read
implementation of data is easy (now using csv style, which could also be considered as a 2 dimensional array in some way)
it's possible to use exel/calc and cut/paste from a csv file for implementing the data, if needed
data can be imported directly from a csv file, if needed
not every menu needs a menu script (every menu/submenu should be built by the same function part)
lesser code that can do the same thing
I hope and think it's a good idea for the base structure of our script and more scripts.
And it occurs to me that having separate core configs per content folder won't solve the Atari 8 bit problems, because this script modifies both the core options and the core's own config file in order to get to all the settings. hmm.
Thanks all above for the help. I was able to clear that in the mame2003 core, but for some reason, mame 2010 was not as cooperative. It automatically binds the mame menus to the L3/R3 thumbstick buttons and can't be cleared (I tried using the same method as mame 2003, but to no avail). But I came up with an easier work around for both. I simply unbound my l2/r2 and l3/r3 buttons from my controllers themselves. I find there is no real need for any of these to be used for classic gaming, as all you really need are the shoulder and face buttons. So that uncomplicated things, and the menus are now no longer accessible. Easy peazy.
Thank you for this thread. I found it AFTER I clicked the button to order my controller! I now have the 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ controller working flawlessly on a Raspberry Pi 4B, with RetroPie 4.7.1 on updated OS.
Before I attempted to pair, the pad was connected via USB to the Ultimate Software application for a firmware update. I also configured a Switch profile, with star(★) as turbo button.
I followed these steps before pairing, too. I consider these safe steps, as it only disables an unused SIM card driver and delays bluetooth start for two seconds at boot.
$ sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service
$ sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/bthelper@.service
$ sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/99-bluetooth.rules
$ sudo reboot
$ sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh
Configuration / Tools -> bluetooth
power on controller by holding Y + start one second (Switch mode)
hold in pair button for three seconds
leds will rotate like knight rider
Register and Connect to Bluetooth Device
on "Searching" screen, pressing some buttons can help
choose "Pro Controller"
Setup the udev rule
hold start three seconds to turn pad off
turn on controller
I have the pad in Switch mode. To select the profile with turbo, press both sticks (L3+R3) and the heart/home button will light up. Hold a button and press star(★) to enable/disable turbo. It will stay in Switch mode with profile, so now all you have to do is hold the start button to turn it on or off.