Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

[Question] Different black borders n64 games

• Now that I finally setup (good) n64 emulation with lr-mupen64plus-next on my x86 Ubuntu RetroPie install I noticed a lot of games (running US/NTSC only games) have black borders. Some games have bigger borders than others.

I know you can setup overscan but because some games have bigger borders than others the overscan can be a little off.

How do you guys handle it?

• Any one?

• No one having the same issues as me?

• Could someone help me out with this?

• @Panja Im not sure what you're talking about could you perhaps take a picture with your phone and post it?

• @Parabolaralus
    Sure can!
    Will do so later on.

What I mean is the following:
    I have set N64 emulation to 4:3 resolution.
    Though games are giving me black borders/bars at the top and bottom.
    I can correct that with the horizontal top and bottom overscan.
    But some games have bigger black borders/bars than others.

So for instance if I set top overscan to 8 for one game, another game could have a much lower overscan which results in screen cut off because of the overscan 8.
    Hopefully I explained this a little better now? :-)

• N64 games have their own hardcoded letterboxing settings built into the games themselves. There will never be a single setting makes all your games fit the way you want them to.

• @Panja Im going to go with @Thorr69 on this one.

There were certain games that did this on purpose and im not sure if it was for increased FOV, or getting that widescreen effect on a 4:3 monitor but i recall one in particular on real hardware driving me naners back in the day. Perfect Dark and so i snapped this photo last night on my x86 build:PD.jpg

There is actually an image size setting on my TV (TCL) which normal zooms in about an inch removing the bottom/top bars in most games however not all. I actually leave it on this most of the time for this build which is set per input so it doesnt effect the others...Though as you mentioned your over/underscan settings get the job done similarly.

• @Thorr69 @Parabolaralus
    Ok, thanks for the help and info!

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.