Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

SD Overclock = Kernel Panic

• Pi Model 2b+
    Power Supply used: Official Pi
    RetroPie Version Used: 4.5
    Built From: Pre made SD Image on RetroPie website 4.5
    USB Devices connected: Bluteooth Dongle
    Controller used: PS4 via Blutetooth
    Error messages received: "kernel panic-not syncing: vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)"
    How to replicate the problem:
    Inserting "dtparam=sd_overclock=100" into config.txt

Ive been trying to overclock my SD card (32gb Samsung Evo Plus) but after editing the config.txt I get the kernel panic message.

I did try to fix this by changing the cmdline.txt file and editing the root directory as suggested by JonnyKesh on this thread:
    https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/10935/retropie-kernel-panic-not-syncing-vfs-unable-to-mount-root-fs-on-unknown-block-179-2/10
    But that just change the error message from "unknown-block(179,2)" to "unknown-block(179,6)"

Once I remove the overclock line in the config.txt I am able to boot , the SD card is fine.

Is this overclock even possible on the Pi 2b+? I have seen guides which mentions it is for all the Pi's but all the threads I found on this subject seem to be Pi 3 users.

Help?

Regards,

Navi

• Global Moderator

@navi87
    try a lower overclock, like 83?

• Yeah I tried that out too, I thought I was pushing it too hard as well but I got the same result.

• @navi87
    Try this instead:
    dtoverlay=sdhost,overclock_50=100

• @navi87

I had a problem similar to yours on a Raspberry Pi 3B. I solved it by decreasing the overclock I had done to the CPU, GPU and RAM. Not only did I have problems with the SD Overclock, but I also had some type of return castle of Wolfesteim game.

With this overclock I had the same problem as you:

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
    arm_freq=1400
    over_voltage=6
    gpu_freq=550
    core_freq=550
    sdram_freq=550
    sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
    over_voltage_sdram_p=6
    over_voltage_sdram_i=4
    over_voltage_sdram_c=4

#uncomment to increased the sdcard reader speed (No default)
    dtparam=sd_overclock=100

And so solve it:

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
    arm_freq=1400
    over_voltage=6
    gpu_freq=525
    core_freq=525
    sdram_freq=550
    sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
    over_voltage_sdram_p=6
    over_voltage_sdram_i=4
    over_voltage_sdram_c=4

#uncomment to increased the sdcard reader speed (No default)
    dtparam=sd_overclock=100

• @backstander I tried that didnt work as well. I have a feeling my SD card just isnt upto scratch.

I got myself a Pi 4b now with a 64GB micro sd card, the "dtparam=sd_overclock=100" and it works fine. Consider this case closed, cheers for all the input though guys :)

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.