Mostly fixes and improvements rather than new stuff this time folks. There were some problems with our RetroArch configuration defaults in RetroPie 3.3 which should be sorted now, and we have fixed up a few things that didn’t work correctly with Raspbian Jessie. We also have added early support for using the RetroPie-Setup script on a X86/X11 desktop setup, as well as some basic support for building EmulationStation & RetroArch + cores on the ODroid-C1. For more information regarding installation on x86 see https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/RetroPie-Ubuntu-15.10-x86-Flavor.
We are now using Raspbian Jessie as the base for the RetroPie image. Those using Wheezy can update by following the instructions at https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-setup/wiki/Updating-RetroPie – however moving to Jessie is recommended. As it takes time to pre-build binaries, in the future we will only be providing pre-built binaries for Raspbian Jessie.
Installation Instructions can be found here – https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation
Prebuilt images are available GitHub – https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/releases/tag/3.4. You can also install RetroPie on top of an existing Raspbian Jessie / Raspbian Wheezy set up – Instructions can be found at the GitHub project site.
Changes since 3.3:
- Now using Raspbian Jessie for the RetroPie image.
- Fixes for controller input issues with RetroArch including improved config generation to work around problems with 8bitdo controllers.
- Fixed up Bluetooth pairing module on Jessie.
- Improvements to the Xbox userspace driver (xboxdrv) including partial support of Xbox One controller.
- Can now choose to exit or restart Emulation Station. Metadata will no longer be lost if choosing to shutdown or reboot.
- Preliminary support for using the RetroPie-Setup script on x86 + X11 on Debian/Ubuntu and Ubuntu on the Odroid-C1 (building from source only).
- $HOME/.emulationstation has relocated to /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation – but is symlinked from the original location. The USB Rom Service script will backup all of /opt/retropie/configs to USB. Previously it only backed up /$HOME/.emulationstation.
- Support for choosing RetroArch shaders and overlays from the RetroPie-Setup configuration editor.
- Added pixel theme from Rookervik to theme installer.
- Wonderswan and NeoGeo Pocket separated into Wonderswan/Wonderswan Colour, NeoGeo Pocket/NeoGeo Pocket Colour.
- Various other bugfixes and improvements.
After 2 months of work, RetroPie v3.3 has been released. Highlights include beta images built on Raspbian Jessie for beta testing, PlayStation Portable and Dreamcast emulators moved out of experimental, and improved controller configurations including automatic control set up for Mupen64plus and Reicast.
Changes since 3.2:
- Mupen64plus controller configs (including hotkeys) and Reicast (Dreamcast) controller configs added to the autoconfiguration script in emulationstation. Mupen64plus is now the default n64 emulator due to compatibility.
- AdvanceMAME 1.4 (replaces 1.2 – still based on MAME 0.106).
- PlayStation Portable emulator ppsspp is included by default (libretro version is default, the standalone version is optional).
- Removed cpc4rpi emulator, and added CapriceRPI which has many improvements over cpc4rpi.
- Updated libretro binaries including lr-fba-next updated to v0.2.97.37, and an improved lr-caprice32 which is now moved out of experimental and is the default Amstrad CPC emulator.
- Updates to Reicast emulator, which has been moved out of experimental.
- New experimental modules: OpenTTD (open source simulation game based on Transport Tycoon Deluxe), Wolf4SDL (Port of Wolfenstein 3d), Zdoom (Enhanced Port of the official DOOM source)
- PS3 controller improvements (added Gasia PS3 clone Support).
- Updated OpenMSX emulator (to the dev version 0.12.0+).
- Beta images based on Raspbian Jessie are included. They may have bugs that are not present in the Raspbian Wheezy release.
- New themes added to the theme installer (Eudora from AmadhiX, Tronkyfran from Tronkyfran, and Retroplay Canela from InsecureSpike).
- RetroArch joy-config tool removed (custom configs are now done through the RGUI or manually).
- Various other bugfixes/improvements.
Soon after the release of RetroPie 3.1, we are please to announce v3.2. Although only a few weeks have passed, there have been a fair number of improvements include some new experimental emulators, and configuration module improvements.
Changes since 3.1:
- Fixed binaries of mupen64plus and lr-tyrquake and removed mupen64plus-testing as it is now included in the default mupen64plus.
- Updated to Hatari 1.9, and built in IPF image support.
- Binary installs are now supported for those running under Raspbian Jessie – although there still may be bugs.
- New experimental modules – ppsspp / lr-ppsspp (PlayStation Portable emulator), px68k (X68000 emulator – too slow to be usable on a rpi2 though), opentyrian (a port of the DOS shoot-em-up Tyrian), and SuperTux. uae4arm is now moved from experimental.
- Improvements to the generic bluetooth pairing module.
- Improvements to ps3controller pairing
- Fixed SNESDev driver building (failed on first attempt).
- New Turtle Pi Emulation Station theme installable via the themes installer
- GLideN64 video plugin for mupen64plus
- Various other bugfixes.