Please do not post a support request without first reading and following the advice in https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3/read-this-first

Minor update to Hatari setup guide

• Re: How-to Guide: Atari ST and STe Computing on the Raspberry Pi with RetroPie’s Hatari Emulator

I rebuilt my Pi 3's RetroPie installation relatively recently, so it's running a clean, completely up to date install of RetroPie.

Yesterday I finally got around to setting up Hatari again, and discovered that the config file, hatari.cfg, no longer auto-loads.

I found a resolution to this, which I'll outline briefly here (I ought to update the guide on my site, but due to ongoing health issues, that's unlikely to happen - hence no new posts there for two years...)

Note: using the --configfile command line option failed to resolve the issue, hence this alternative approach

Add a new entry for runcommand, allowing autoloading of hatari.cfg named e.g. 'hatari-use-hatari-cfg'.
    Loads hatari.cfg from /opt/retropie/configs/atarist

cd /opt/retropie/configs/atarist
    Sudo nano emulators.cfg

hatari-fast = "/opt/retropie/emulators/hatari/bin/hatari --confirm-quit 0 --statusbar 0 --zoom 1 -w --compatible 0 --timer-d 1 --borders 0 %ROM%"
    default = "hatari-use-hatai-cfg"
    hatari-fast-borders = "/opt/retropie/emulators/hatari/bin/hatari --confirm-quit 0 --statusbar 0 --zoom 1 -w --compatible 0 --timer-d 1 --borders 1 %ROM%"
    hatari-compatible = "/opt/retropie/emulators/hatari/bin/hatari --confirm-quit 0 --statusbar 0 --zoom 1 -w --compatible 1 --timer-d 0 --borders 0 %ROM%"
    hatari-compatible-borders = "/opt/retropie/emulators/hatari/bin/hatari --confirm-quit 0 --statusbar 0 --zoom 1 -w --compatible 1 --timer-d 0 --borders 1 %ROM%"
    hatari-use-hatari-cfg = "/opt/retropie/emulators/hatari/bin/hatari %ROM%"

The new entry simply calls the emulator executable without any parameters; Hatari proceeds to load hatari.cfg if it exists. This used to occur even when params were passed (e.g as in the 'hatari-fast-borders' and other entries, above), but this no longer occurs.

If you need logging, although it didn't help with this issue, pass the following params (before the %ROM% at the end of the entry):

--log-file ~/hatariemu.log --log-level debug

(Log levels and much more can be found on the man page: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/hatari.1.html)

Atari ST rom/image file support:

Add .msa .MSA file extension support (otherwise emulationstation hides these files, which are used for many Atari ST games and demos)

Edit
    /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

Add .MSA and .msa to the <extension> tag:
    (Restart emulationstation or reboot for the change to take effect)

<system>
        <name>atarist</name>
        <fullname>Atari ST</fullname>
        <path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atarist</path>
        <extension>.MSA .msa .st .stx .img .rom .raw .ipf .ctr .$    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcomma$    <platform>atarist</platform>
        <theme>atarist</theme>
      </system>

• @RetroResolution Thanks for taking the time to write this post, helped me :)

Contributions to the project are always appreciated, so if you would like to support us with a donation you can do so here.

Hosting provided by Mythic-Beasts. See the Hosting Information page for more information.