so, yes, as far as the input system is concerned, they're the same type of device.
Think I'm going to rewire them - not too hard, the wiring harness has pins I can just pull out and shove into another spot - will just have to figure out what goes where and remember the original layout if I ever want to put it back lol. Thanks for the help though.
On a related note: is the USB controller device order no longer implemented in RetroPie anymore? Seems like the Xbox wireless adapter is superseding anything physically plugged in on a lower USB port number, or maybe I have to reboot and test that again? (i.e. not hot swappable? - I forget if it ever was TBH).
And yes, I'm quoting myself and looking for confirmation on this. Seems like on the RP3 when all 4x USB's were 2.0, the order was something like left bottom 0, top 1, right side bottom 2, top 3.
On the RP4, I think (NOT positive, would like confirmation if possible), they run separately for the USB 2.0 side and the USB 3.0 side. I had my WIRED fightstick plugged into the left side #1, which should have superceeded the 3x WIRELESS fightsticks which were plugged into #2, but I think because the wireless was on the 3.0 side that superceeded the 2.0 side in controller order. Right now I have the wired fightstick plugged into the right side top, and the wireless 360 dongle on right side bottom and the wired one is player #1, and the wireless are #2/3/4. can anybody confirm this is how it works now on a RP4?
, the controller is immediately recognized, though as a "Generic Xbox Pad". It works, but whenever I shutdown or reboot, I need to do this all over again. But what is strange is that I shouldn't need to be doing this at all: for one thing I never had to go through this workaround with my Pi 3, and second because the Xpad driver already has the device ID configured correctly and recognized as "Hyperkin Duke Xbox One Controller", but it seems that it's refusing to recognize it for me.
@quicksilver you're right in Mame2003+ simply open the Retroarch Menu/GUI > Quick menu > Settings (not Controls indeed) and head for the Control Mapping setting. Change the value either to Analog (left stick) or Digital (Dpad). Thanks for the tip as I completely missed that opion!
I hadn't heard of Parsec, but it looks like something similar to Moonlight, which I use (or did use, but ever since I updated to RetroPie 4.4 I can't seem to get it to work). I have quite a few individual bash scripts that invoke xboxdrv and then start moonlight and then individual games, so it can be done:
The only setting which might be related to the joypad is input_joypad_driver, which is by default udev. You can try re-adding back the file, then changing this to sdl2 and see if this fixes the mapping.
Yeah, I tried that. Didn't change anything.
I've decided to just restore my RetroPie install from a backup and avoid the Xpad driver update for the time being. I was able to update everything else individually without issue.
Thank you for your time and I apologize for not seeing this through to end.