The TV supports 1080, but I found the solution by hot swapping the unit after booting with the computer monitor. This boot up set the output to the monitors resolution. Once attached to the Television I had a clear and steady picture. Using the video set-up in the Retropie menu I set it up to use the monitors default resolution. I then shut down and rebooted, and the system loaded to the retropie config I had just corrected. Going back into the Retropie menu's video set-up, I was now given the option to change the resolution to television, progressive, at 720, which is where I wanted this to run to allow for portability. I saved and rebooted and the system loaded on the next try. Four reboots later the system is still easily displayed.
OK I don't know if this is the best way of doing this but it seems to be working. The new config files were saving to configs/all/retroarch/config. The retroarch file being looked at is in gba/retroarch.cfg. I simply copied the content of the new config file and overwrote the content in retroarch.cfg with the new data. I kept back ups of the original files in case anything goes haywire. So far it seems to be just fine. Thanks.