Digging further, I noticed the dapinput file I modified had it's changes undone. Not sure how that happened, but re-entering my custom mappings fixed my issue despite my joystick being assigned js1. Perhaps the Daphne documentation is out of date to the current version.
Also take a look here at hypseus, it has improved the Daphne config somewhat. You can assign whatever js is available in the config:
Success! Ok i figured it out. This is going to be a long one so sit back, but anyone with a similar problem, i hope this will work for you. Again I am running RetroPie on a raspberry Pi 3 with a Pi2Jamma adaptor and i ran the retropiergb mod to output to a 15khz monitor. so i figured that this was an issue with the run command, so i found a file in the /opt.retropie/configs/all, named runcommand-onend.sh . In it there is a line for HDMI timings that was different then the one in the global config.txt in the boot folder. so i added the correct timings and # out the originals and it worked! but then for some reason mame was outputting a very stretched image at 1920x240, so i went into the configuration options in the run command menu and changed the settings in the edit custom retroarch config option. In it you will see that the custom viewport is set to 1920x240, so i just added a pond symbol before the commands. Since the layout seems to be UK it is a £ instead of # for us Americans but it works just the same. and now mame defaults to the listed game resolution. I have no Idea why these options did this but I wasn't going to let this beat me. I hope this helps.
@DirtBagXon@johnodon Thank you for the information! I added back the full screen, it definity the $params and not the -fullscreen. This is the commands file that I used based on a tutorial on this webpage:
Alter arguments and get it to do what you want it to do. If you are including -bank switches then you need to start reading, and understanding, the arcade dip switch setting configurations. These are at the more complex end of config.
Okay, solved and this is one I recommend making more clear in the documentation. My issue was that I ALWAYS keep a wireless keyboard connected to my Retropie. It's just a tiny dongle taking one port so why not? It's so much easier for certain tasks.
However, I kept wondering why the test rom for Intellivision was reporting that I was on controller 2 and every other comment pointed to controller one. Then I noticed posts where people said that Daphne and Intellivion (jzintv anyway) assign the first controller they see, which in this case was the keyboard -- and that explained why the keyboard worked. Ugh.
@mitu Thanks for the pointer on the docs. I've gone through a lot of research and reorganizing since my last post, but it now appears to be working! There were two issues at play: bad rom directory structure and bad install of vldp2.
For reference to the curious, here's the problem I was having with vldp2. Every time the emulator started, it would give this daphne error saying ERROR: could not open the VLDP2 dynamic library (file not found maybe?):
For the sake of testing, I ran the following from the command line to see the console output:
libvldp2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Could not load VLDP dynamic library!!!
Shutting down sound system...
Shutting down video display...
Well the install script for daphne is supposed to install vldp2 for you, but in my case, it wasn't doing that.
You can manually install the Linux x64 version of it by running the following in a temporary directory:
git clone https://github.com/DavidGriffith/daphne.git
make -f Makefile.linux_x64
sudo cp libvldp2.so /lib
My theory is that the script was compiling vldp2, but then failing to copy it to the /lib directory that it's supposed to get installed to (that last line in the command above).
I tried fiddling with the script a little to get it to work automatically, but gave up because it was hard to debug. If I can gather the motivation, I'll try to fix it properly and then send a PR to include the changes in RetroPie-Setup.
Run the speaker system for the cabinet to the audio jack.
That's the best way, and it's pure sound from the card.
HDMI sound is good, but really for a console style setup.
I have 3 MAME and 2 dedicated Arcade cabinets. All but one is set up this way. The one cabinet is all original, so I didn't mess with the set up. The rest all use 2.1 sound systems plugged into the audio jack of whatever I have running the cabinet.