In the end I realised it was actually a faulty USB cable.
Swapped the cable and then the Xin-Mo was detected straight away. No need to install drivers. Configured the buttons for player 1 and was good to go.
I'm now going to research into joystick deadzones. There seems to be excess travel to activate the micro-switches which causes an in-game delay. I have Zippy joysticks but will research into an alternative that has a smaller deadzone for faster response delay.
I'm sure other people have experienced this, there must be a wealth of knowledge about better alternatives to the Zippy joystick.
@lostless I set the system to save from RAM every second and the issue appears to be fixed not just corrected. I was also getting little periods were the sound was muted and that also seems to have stopped. I was assuming that was a different problem and that was why I did not include that in the original question, but that has stopped as well. Great information thank you.
Could be a throttling issue. I have decided to move the amiga games one folder at a time into the roms folder.
So I will scrape all games beginning with A in the roms folder.
I'll then do the same with B etc and create a number of gamelist.xmls
I'l then do a merge of the gamelist.xmls and edit it to point to the correct folders.
A bit of work but it should hopefully do the trick rather than scraping all at once in different folders.
I am dealing with a similar issue and I am now very, very close to getting it working. I found a post from a year or so ago which suggested that opening the retroarch GUI from within the emulator, then remapping from the "control" menu therein. For me, this involved hitting f1 on a keyboard to bring up the retroarch gui and then switching each button around according to the results of jstest, and finally saving a "core remap file". This let me fix everything but a few buttons. The issue that remains is that there is no listing in that controls menu for buttons 0 and 1, which are my C up and C right.
@mitu So when I got home I took the microSD card that was in the raspberry pi zero W that I think is faulty. And just moved it over to the new raspberry pie zero w that arrived in the mail today. And it seems to be working a lot better. It booted up just fine to EmulationStation and I’m not getting any of the button issues that I was having when I had it in the Retroflag GPi case. It occasionally gave input configuration crashes too.
I tested only one Atari game on it and it seems to be working (where as before I could never keep it from crashing long enough to run a game). However I’ve only started transferring games over and havent tested any others. Either way it’s not freezing like it was just a few seconds after loading up emulation station. And it has yet to crash. Which means so far that’s a really good sign.
When I’m done transferring the files over, doing a scrape for the game images, and can actually spend some time playing games on it. I’ll be glad and certain of what the issue was. But based on all the trouble I was having and I’m using the exact same microSD card with everything that was installed before. So far I’m convined that I had a faulty raspberry pi zero W.