@clyde Thanks! Over the years I had a lot of time to think about creative solutions to problems in the build. I never anticipated taking it as far as I eventually did (you can tell the original design was quite simple). But I'm happy with it now. Maybe someday I'll try something more advanced, like rebuilding a classic cabinet in need of saving or something.
@cnoto Cool! I did something similar with the speakers in my cabinet, but I think yours turned out even better. The speaker covers were a good choice.
There are actually several MAME roms that are essentially video pinball machines. The coolest thing about them compared to console or PC pinball titles is that they actually prompt for coins (like any other arcade game) and keep real high-score lists (also like most other arcade games). Some are better than others, FYI. Time Scanner is pretty good, as is Pinball Action, Speed Ball and Grand Cross (which is really unique).
I commented out the back button mapping in es_input.cfg.
I used Notepadd++ to inject <kidgame>true</kidgame> on the line just before </game> for each entry in the gamelist.xml.
I set ES to start in the arcade system.
I set ES UI Mode to Kid.
The only buttons that now work are Launch (A), Random (X), Page Up (L) and Page Down (R). Connecting a keyboard (already mapped) or exiting Kid mode gives me full UI control again.
This is the solution I have been looking for all along! :)
Mostly not at 4:3 or 5:4, as I said, because they haven't been manufactured in bulk in almost a decade. It is actively hard to find a brand new 4:3 or 5:4 LCD panel. 99% of new monitors are 16:9 or 16:10.
I also have a Lenovo M92P Tiny that I can use. However, this bartop will be dedicated solely to arcade platform, I have changed tactics and just ordered a Pi3B+. I really want to use GPIO for the controls so I can remove the USB encoder.
I will use a Lenovo T430 laptop connected to our main TV for console emulation (4x PS3 controllers). This has Intel HD4000 GPU so it handles most everything that I care about.
@caver01 There IS a recess/gap of about 2 cm, so you idea about a square piece of wood that fits the inside of the edges is quite brilliant. And would be very, very easy for me to do. It would be steady from sliding to the sides at least, and I can probably attach something on the back and/or front, so that is also keeps it from sliding back and forth.
The best part of that idea is almost that the recess/gap was probably going to look a bit strange on the stand (because the bartop bottom can't be flat on the stand), but this solution can actually hide that gap when it's on the stand, making it look more like a full size cap!