@152adam Just tried it in bin/cue format and the soundtrack is working now. So it seems likely the .chd format is the source of the issue with the cd audio. Wonder if anyone else has noticed this problem.
@reruns_towel it makes perfect sense to me :P you want to add fake overscan to your screen. you can do that in the way i instructed, and that would apply to the whole system. the way you've previously done it is to add overscan to the console (command line) only, and then adjust each bit of software to solve the issue, which as you've found, isn't always possible.
Sorry for the late response, That's why I made my changes: Github issue
I forgot to post the following entry in my config.txt:
This info is covered already in the Docs - including where to copy the BIOS files, since RetroPie already configures RetroArch.
Note that some games have issues when the 'boot to BIOS' option is selected in lr-pcsx-rearmed.
After an evening of pondering this, I have figured out what I did to screw it up. I have created multiple images of RetroPie setups that were reasonably customized and saved piles of things I referred to as "Clean" associated with those. (For example, known good ROMS, BIOS, and Meta Data like Scraper results.)
What happened was that I missed a step trying to recreate my steps. So here's the abbreviated version of what I did that messed it up.
Wrote the correct, unaltered, unupdated 4.5.1 image to the SD card (I really couldn't believe I would have written the wrong image).
Copied vast amounts of "Clean" altered configs (for a setup that was designed for SNES controller compatibility, and thus didn't use PSX).
Boomie. (At this point, I believe my copying of configs was all it took to scramble it up.)
It should have been obvious when the pixel art launch screens came up (part of the config I just copied), but I honestly recall thinking "Oh cool, 4.5.1 uses the same pixel art things I liked for launching games."
Thus, to your point, I had 4.5.1, with a bunch of 4.4 config wedged in manually after the fact. Worse, because my previously configured system never used PSX (not enough RasPi power when I created it, and not enough buttons when using SNES controllers), I had no idea that there might have been a bug with it that had been hiding in what I was copying.
I know this is a necro, but I just discovered some quirky stuff that may help some folks out in this same situation.
I am working with the latest retropie on a 3b+ (usb mount roms), and in the process of building it out I noticed probably half of the psx titles I try wouldn't play at all (back to es after rgui), while the other half played perfectly. Similar to the OP's situation, these happened to be ringer titles for me... I wasn't going to give up on these without a good fight. I tried 4 different ROMs of the same game and none worked. I tried 3 different bios downloads, including mixing some of the files together, without success. So guess what randomly worked for me?
Converting the zipped cue/bin roms to chd v5 using the chdman.exe script, lol... so worth the shot in the dark!!!
I learned how to make such chd's in the process of getting reicast working, and noticed an excerpt in the retropie psx docs about chd compatibility. I already downloaded 4 slightly different copies of one of the games and none of them work. So what was there to lose by trying just one of those downloaded cue/bins as a chd. Sure enough it worked!!! So I converted the rest of the non-working psx titles to chd, and now they all work!!!
It's a 4xwin situation too... gets non-working roms to work + reduces file size + reduces file count + (this is a big one) the games load up like 100x faster using chd vs bin/cue!!!
EDIT: OK, so I double-checked the md5s of the bios files that i have downloaded BEFORE and AFTER sending them to the pi (just in case they would get corrupted as they were sent or something) they matched on winmd5 just fine.
lr-pcsx-rearmed can use only scph5501.bin from the list of BIOS files you have, and that file has a wrong MD5 in your screenshot - it's not what's in the docs or what the core expects.
Unfortunately I can't get a copy of the game to test, but can you just get a RetroArch log file and put it on pastebin.com - enable Verbose logging in the Runcommand launch menu, run the game for a while, then upload the /dev/shm/runcommand.log log file to pastebin.com and paste the URL here.
@Pierouge I managed to resolve this issue by changing the Joypad settings (Hotkey + X) to default for Joypad 1 (no analogue). You can still use analogue sticks with the game even with this setting turned off. The game loads up and plays normally (at first). It also looks great with enhanced graphics. I hope this helps
However I now have a new problem. The game freezes (just the game, I can still Hotkey quit out of the game) when I meet the two wolves after the first save point.
It seems like the multiplier is locked. I think I was able to track down a reasonably priced 3.1 ghz core 2 to replace it with. Once I upgrade the graphics card in my main PC, I'll probably put the geforce 570 in there, too.