@mitu I've only been tinkering with it so far, but this doesn't seem to be the case. When I create such a file, I still have to drill down through the subfolders to play the game, despite the xml file pointing directly at the rom. I do believe i had that option checked, but maybe I'm misremembering. I will test this again.
[update] I just checked. I do have that option enabled. I am still have to drill down through subfolders. I also know it's working because other games are now missing though the files are present in the directory (but not in the xml). I'm assuming this is an intentional functionality (gameslist doesn't flatten directories).
@fluffypillow Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. I knew about purpose of "./", "[ ]" is new to me though. Going to work on fixing the system logo sizes, other than that the rest of the theme seems to be as it should. Thanks again!
You're using a very old RetroPie version, is there are reason for you to do that ?
Regarding your issue - most likely EmulationStation cannot create any new files, since the filesystem is 97% in use. On Linux, by default, a filesystem will have 5% reserved to the root user to prevent users filling it accidentally (or maliciously).
Run EmulationStation manually, then exit (via the menu or F4). Check the log file in ~/.emulationstation/es_log.txt and see if any errors occur when exiting (like files not being able to be created, etc.).
@amishgamer Yeah, I forgot to use Clone Spy for automatic removal. Found out about that two days ago. Also, there are a few more differently named duplicates that I'm slowly removing for a full release.
I'm currently working on my ideal ROM set of USA>World/Europe>Japan, but I suppose I can fix up those batch files in the meantime.
@cyclair I have never created a theme, but it seems to me that this page describes how to setup sections for metadata. Have you tried removing the sections for both the labels and the data (ie: md_lbl_rating, md_rating sections)? I think you have to make backups and try this. It will be trial and error, especially to get your positions correct since you also said you wanted to raise the text. There are no simple answers here. You will need to get in there and make adjustments.
Also, I tried clicking your pastebin link and it looks like the XML is in a different language than your long post. Did you know you can go back and EDIT your long post? Folks might be more inclined to respond if you clean up that first post a bit.
@herb_fargus I was just thinking out of the box, cause he said that his gamelist.xml is a nightmare. If he gets the log way, he will need to play all the games to fill the txt. This could take a lot of time with his 10k gamelist.
@dcm91 I really don't know where the gamelist.xml will be placed because I have no idea how this image is set up. These files can go in 2 places, within each system ROM folder or in /home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/systemname. Or at least that's where they go in the standard image. They could be absolutely anywhere on a custom image. You'll just have to try it and see.
seems that it was that at some point I did a find and replace on the .zip files to match my .7z roms, then I guess when I went back in to edit I did a find and replace on the .bin files and changed them also to .7z.... I guess that was confusing it. Thanks for the help simonster, thats a nice command I didn't know. I've got it working again.