Will I still get the same nearly flawless experience with those emulators in their current state of development? I would rather not buy a Pi 4 if I don't need to spend the money.
I just updated mine first time in almost 2 years. Make sure to copy all ur splashscreen videos and stuff. I cant find the one I was using. I deleted my SD card and started fresh. However, you can just update the cores. You could try updating the kernel and stuff but I had a hard time because my kernel and stuff was too old it would freeze up. You might now have that problem.
" Will I still get the same nearly flawless experience with those emulators in their current state of development"
It will probably be the same if not better.
Did you have any ports package installed ? If you don't, that might be the reason the system doesn't appear (with your game).
Try installing one of the smaller ports - like lzdoom - this will create the folder and the necessary configuration to show up in EmulationStation.
And it looks like I corrected the issue. I copied the gamelist.xml for Atari 2600 from Emulationstation to the folder that holds the roms. That seems to have done the trick. Thank you guys again for the guidance and help.
Oh sorry misunderstood. Well, it's a little bit all over the place. Before overclocking, one TV I tried had 720p. It had occasional audio cut outs. Another TV had external speakers and had a resolution of 1920x1080. That one had terrible audio drop outs that lasted the longest. The last one I tried was at 3,840x2,160 and was working better than the other two. The audio dropouts were there but they didn't last as long.
Since that 720p TV still had audio drop outs, I don't think that could be the solution. But I haven't tried changing the resolution for any of the TVs so I'm not 100% sure.
@lostless thanks for the quick reply - my original RP install is completely up to date as of last week, I was intending doing a backup of that and writing it to the card for the 3B+. I guess there is no harm in just trying it anyway, but it is always handy to know if something is SUPPOSED to work, then if it doesn't I know I am doing something wrong and that it is not a compatibility issue.